C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 02:08 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!!

My new Bilsteins finally arrived, and even though Fed Ex seems to have misplaced my new front springs I decided to go ahead and install all 4 of the shocks tonight.
Around midnight when I had finished I just had to take it out for a little test drive (can you tell that I am impatient :D ) WOW what a difference a good shock absorber makes!!!!! :hurray: :hurray:
Railroad tracks and bumps that I used to have to slow down to <20mph for I was able to go over at 40mph without any worry of dragging my exhaust on the downstroke, the cornering seems to be much better, and the ride does not seem any stiffer than it did with the inadequate KYB's.
I am very happy :D :yesnod:
I can't wait to see how much better it will handle when I get the new springs in the front too!! Hopefully Fed Ex will get thier act together tomorrow and figure out where they stashed em over the weekend.

[Modified by Kevin_73, 1:09 AM 9/9/2003]
Old 09-09-2003, 02:28 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!! (Kevin_73)

:cheers: After taking a look at some Ohlins in racing applications and seeing what a difference they make, I'm a firm believer that shocks are about 90% of how a car drives and handles... along with a good set of tires, of course.

Now, just don't damage those nice new shocks when you replace the springs. :smash:
Old 09-09-2003, 05:10 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

I put the VBP 550lb springs in the front and Bilstein shocks all around and now it corners unbelievably. I love driving it even more now! :thumbs:
Old 09-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!! (e3pres)

I found an opportunity to drive it a little more this morning before work, and all I can say is :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
This is how I expected this car to drive two years ago when I replaced all of the bushings, ball joints and steering components. Bilsteins are worth every penny they charge for them. :thumbs:

Now, just don't damage those nice new shocks when you replace the springs. :smash:
I wish the springs had arrived at the same time then this wouldn't have even been a concern, but at least this way I will be able to judge what difference the shocks and the springs make in the handling seperately.
I am planning to be [porky pig voice]vewwy vewwy careful [/porky pig voice]when I pull the shocks back out for the spring replacement.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Blankman
Advanced

I totally agree with you guys. I replaced the front suspension, front springs, and all the shocks this summer. I was going to go the less expensive route and put in KYB's but after reading some posts on the forum I decided to get the Bilsteins. My car is completely different now. I just have a 7/8" sway bar in front and none in rear but the body hardly rolls at all in a corner now, where before I felt like I was at about a 25 degree angle to the ground! Excellent choice!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:17 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Which ones did you get? ie the part number?

Thanks.

Pete
Old 09-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!! (stingry)

They are the Bilstein sports. I don't remember the part number but several vendors sell them for C-3's.
The best price I could find was from Mid America, here is the link: http://www.madvet.com/shop?store=1&c...190&frame=1452
Old 09-09-2003, 05:00 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning to be [porky pig voice]vewwy vewwy careful [/porky pig voice] when I pull the shocks back out for the spring replacement.
I finally found a topic about which I have a smattering of knowledge! I think you meant [Elmer Fudd voice]...

Seriously though, thanks for the review...I was just debating what shocks to put on mine...looks like I need to save a few more pennies...

[porky pig voice] uhTh..uhth..uhth..uhthat's all folks :jester
Old 09-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!! (76Frankenstein)

I think you meant [Elmer Fudd voice]...

Seriously though, thanks for the review...I was just debating what shocks to put on mine...looks like I need to save a few more pennies...

[porky pig voice] uhTh..uhth..uhth..uhthat's all folks :jester
Damm, I'm not even 40 yet and I am already forgot the difference between Elmer Fudd and Porky pig. :bb :bb :bb :bb
Oh well, I guess I need to watch the cartoon network more often. :yesnod:

Old 09-09-2003, 08:57 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those shocks sound nice, I have AC Delco's now. I'm having VBP 460's and the front end suspension rebuilt at Dragon Breath Performance. I think I'll be looking for Bilstein Shocks around my B-day which is just around the next curve. :cheers:
Old 09-09-2003, 09:39 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!! (74 vert)

When I first rebuilt my suspension (total front and rear rebiuld at the same time) I used the KYBs that came with my VBP kit. It handled nicely but I could tell a dime from a nickel if I drove over it. Every little expansion joint and pebble upset the car.
Got a deal on some new Bilsteins and WOW, same or better handling with MUCH better ride. I'll never go back...
Jeff
Old 09-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My truck came from the factory with Bilsteins. They are awesome.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:47 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!! (Stoge)

I am happy with my bilsteins, superb shock. :D :cheers:
Old 09-09-2003, 11:28 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!! (74 vert)

Hey 74 Vert,
I was by DBP today. The car is looking good. :thumbs:
Old 09-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!! (no_radio)

When I first rebuilt my suspension (total front and rear rebiuld at the same time) I used the KYBs that came with my VBP kit. It handled nicely but I could tell a dime from a nickel if I drove over it. Every little expansion joint and pebble upset the car.
Got a deal on some new Bilsteins and WOW, same or better handling with MUCH better ride. I'll never go back...
Jeff
Same here, the first project I did on my 73 was to completely rebuild the front and rear suspension. I chose KYB's because I had used them in the past with good results on a 4x4 truck. I just thought that C-3's were supposed to handle like that :hat :jester . Then last year my original spring broke and I installed the TRW composite in the rear and the handling didn't improve, but the ride got worse :sad:
Everything is better now :cheers:

On a side note, I finally talked to Fed Ex today and found out why my springs aren't here. For some reason the package was marked as a residential delivery, so they have been trying to deliver then to my office after regular business hours. Hopefully they will get it straight tomorrow so I can get the springs installed too.

Get notified of new replies

To Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!!

Quick Reply: Bilstein Shocks are Excellent!!!