C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat belt relavation

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 12:23 AM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seat belt relavation

While riding in a friends older grand am i realized that the front seat belts were extremly similar to those in the rear of the gen 4 f bodies. Those would be the ones that are often transplated into C3s. Now im not sure but they looked like they were the same. This would possibly open up new colors to us to use, and most likley cheaper prices from the junk yards. The only visable diffrence was the boot on the unretractable end, they shoudl come off.

MAtt
Old 09-11-2003, 03:25 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Default Re: seat belt relavation (pillowmeto)

Actually that previous statement was off, its a sun bird, the generation before the present, the make over this year doesnt count as new, like when they were boxy. This also means the fronts on caviliars would work too.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:14 PM
midwest-vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've called every junk yard in town for the camaro rear belts. One place had them for $150...whatever. I hope you're right about the cavaliers, etc, probably easier to find and maybe cheaper. I need belts to get in my first bracket race. :cheers:
Old 09-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: seat belt relavation (midwest-vette)

Try Ebay. Bought mine for $50. A complete set in near mint condition. There is one now for $66 with 10 bids and 4 days to go. The seller is the same as I bougt mine from.

Interesting that the opening bid was the same and mine ended at $50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33725
Old 09-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Matt,
The key is how the retractor mounts. In the camaro it set flat with the belt running striaght forward. On a front seat belt it is probably mounted with the belt running up. That would keep the locking bits from working right in a C3. You need one that sits flat.

tom...
Old 09-11-2003, 06:54 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: seat belt relavation (Tom73)

:iagree: That's the key. A lot of belts will work just for length, but the only one anyone has found that are long enough and mount horizontally are the Camaro belts.

JB
Old 09-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: seat belt relavation (JB)

Does it matter if the car is hard top or convertible and does it have to be the last generation of camaro?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Skyhigh82
Racer

Default Re: seat belt relavation (Eddie 70)

Can you dye seatbelts a different color? Mine are red and I'm changing my interior to black.

[Modified by Skyhigh, 8:33 PM 9/11/2003]
Old 09-12-2003, 11:10 AM
midwest-vette
Instructor

Default Re: seat belt relavation (midwest-vette)

FYI

I went to the junk yard last night and the cavalier belts will not work in my 76. :rolleyes:
Old 09-12-2003, 05:02 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

i puled some tan ones from a firebird in the local junkyard this summer for mine, w/ a red interior, i was more worried about just having seat belts. They are poly or nylon. I tried to dye mine with some dye from the local craft store. It said for some synthetics to add salt, but i didnt. They are kinda red but not great, deffinitly better than they were though. Also ive worked w/ thje comaro belts and these looked extremly similar just in a diffrent combonation. They kinda came up from the floor right behind the front seat to a loop above the seat, then back down to the floor beside the seat. I peered into into where they came from cayuse i got a glimpse of the retractor, thats what causght my eye. I could see any diffrence in the retracers from the ones i p-ut in my car, also the other end of the belt was just attached to the slightly bent metal tab that bolts in. What actually first causght my eye was that the buckle was the same, the plastic cover on it was an exact match. Sp as far as i could tell without having to pull back some interior panels was that they were exactly the same, the retracters were the same style w, the hanging plastic bob to lock them up, they lock under accelerational force, not the speed the belts pulls out. They did sit flat, the rear belts were just simple lap style, no retractors at all.

I hope this helps, any guinea pigs out there, they cant be too much from that car.

MAtt
Old 09-13-2003, 01:16 AM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

well i guess midwest vette proved it wrong, they looked exactly the same too, the square body style they were in.

Get notified of new replies

To seat belt relavation

Quick Reply: seat belt relavation