C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision time...to go with a new A/C VIR or go with the eliminator.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:34 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Decision time...to go with a new A/C VIR or go with the eliminator.

I'm struggling with this one. I went back into the archives and read everything there on AC. I also did a lot of searching on the internet and even contacted a company that makes the VIR eliminator and they recommend it. Here's what I'm struggling with. Changing to a cycling system causes the compressor to cycle on and off based on the pressure in the system. Does this cause a surging while you're driving due to the cycling. That A6 compressor is big and i'm wondering how it feels to have it dragging the engine up and down. I think basing the system on pressure is a good idea and will work well with the R134 but I'm just hesitant. I don't want to do this again. This is my 3rd compressor and third VIR or eliminator. Cost isn't a factor since both valves are within $25 of each other. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:23 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Decision time...to go with a new A/C VIR or go with the eliminator. (vettfixr)

I made that decision quite a while back and bought a Sanden 508, new mounting bracket and the VIR eliminator kit from Old Air Products. Ths sad part is I haven't even started the install yet! :cry :cry :cry :cry Maybe sometime in October or November.

:nopity Too many damn house projects to finish up . . . I just finished laying ~ 1000 brick in four 9' circles on a 4:1 slope on the side. Took me 3 months to dig and pour the foundation, cut and lay brick, fill with topsoil, connect drip line, install weed fabric and place 6,000 lbs of white rock inside . . . I'm almost done. :nopity

I'm loking forward to busting up my knuckles again. :yesnod:
Old 09-08-2003, 11:25 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Decision time...to go with a new A/C VIR or go with the eliminator. (74-Roadster)

:iagree: Me too. Bought that eliminator kit but yet to install. Evaporator tubing looks like gonn’a take some bending. But that’s what I bought eliminator for – eliminate those blind tube fittings on the VIR. I think this one is go’n to the pros (AC shop). :rofl:
Old 09-09-2003, 12:38 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Decision time...to go with a new A/C VIR or go with the eliminator. (vettfixr)

I went through the same thing on my '69. I always knew I'd use the A-6 (had to look right on mine) even though the throw-away aluminum ones are lighter (a big deal for me) and more efficient. I based my decision to try the original system with R-134 on the fact that I HATE that cycling. I was also advised to convert to a pressure-cycling system, but I'm happy I didn't do it. By adjusting my POA valve (per swedes' paper in the FAQ) it kicks butt. I also lucked out that the original POA valve worked because the replacement I bought is not even close to the same look, though it would work.

I also just did a '73 SB that the guy wanted original and changed nothing from original other than O/hauling (by me) the A-6, replacing the VIR (from ZIP - his choice on my recommendation), and having his original hoses re-done by Hal's Auto Air in Sacramento with barrier hose. I installed it all and charged it with R-134 to 80% of the recommended charge of R-12 and it cools down to 40 deg. F. He was good with that...

You just have to decide what you want. Cycling systems are cheaper and work very well. The new technology bears this out and with a bunch of power you wouldn't notice (I think) the cycling any more than on a new truck or whatever. So there you go... Good luck.

Hans
Old 09-09-2003, 08:05 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Decision time...to go with a new A/C VIR or go with the eliminator. (Wrencher)

I have converted a few early F-bodies using the A6 compressors to cycling and they have been very happy. You hear so little good about the VIR systems. I vote cycling. I have an 80 outside box (orfice tube setup) on my 69 and am using 90 engine accessories and TPI. I don't notice any surging as it cycles. PS-I would stay with R12.

[Modified by markdtn, 7:08 AM 9/9/2003]
Old 09-09-2003, 01:27 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Decision time...to go with a new A/C VIR or go with the eliminator. (markdtn)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to go with the eliminator. I've read and heard too much about VIR issues with R134 and I'm definitely going with R134. I wish my 401K was worth what R12 is today. I'll have to get on the phone with Old Air and get the parts ordered. Again, thanks.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:48 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Good luck! :cheers:

And keep us posted on your progress; odds are you'll have yours blowing cold before I get started. :( :(

Get notified of new replies

To Decision time...to go with a new A/C VIR or go with the eliminator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decision time...to go with a new A/C VIR or go with the eliminator.