C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake valve ?: How much goo is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Intake valve ?: How much goo is normal?

Stripped my heads down and found a good coat of brown goo on the intake valves, thinking that is not normal but is a certain amount normal? Seems the valves stem seals are leaking, rubber umbrella type that seem OK but not 100% sure. Went with some Comp Cams umbrells seals this time that appear to have a more plastic like seal rather than the rubber like that was on them.

BTW the pistons/heads/plugs where all gunk up too with carbon deposits. :U Bet I was loosing some major hp.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:01 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Intake valve ?: How much goo is normal? (Fevre)

Actually, cleaning up that stuff will drop your compression, reducing horsepower.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Intake valve ?: How much goo is normal? (FeedVaal)

But the plugs looked fouled and the goo is on the flow side of the valve which I am sure was restricting it.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Brown goo on the back of the intake valves? Hmm usually its black on the intakes and mybe brownish on the ehxaust. Build up on a high mileage engine is somewhat normal. If it happens on a low mileage engine it would usually indicate an overly rich mixture. The buildup can definatly effect the flow of gasses in and out of the head.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Intake valve ?: How much goo is normal? (Jvette73)

Looks like thick oil to me. The plugs looked good for while and are actually light tan almost white on the insulators but have a build up on the electrodes and threads but I have not checked them in a month or two. I am using a O2 sensor running in the 13 to 14 range at cruise so I don't think I am running way rich. Just think(hope) the seals are leaking.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:33 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm having the same issue on my 454. Sludge on the intake valves is not a good thing. The sludge acts as a sponge randomly absorbing and releasing gasoline which creates incorrect mixtures. Symptoms of valve sludge are hard starting, stumbling (especially when the engine is cold) and bad throttle response. It also restricts flow.

Causes are usually bad PCV system (no baffles in valve covers), leaking intake gasket (sucking oil out of the valley) or bad valvestem seals/guides.

Some slight buildup is normal on a high mileage engine but it should be more of a blackish/dry consistency, not oily.

On mine it was caused by a bad intake seal and it built up almost 1/8" thick. The intake ports were also covered. I since fixed the gasket and it is now slowly cleaning off. Gasoline contains cleaning additives by law and they do work (slowly). Last time I checked my ports were clean, valvestems clean and valves about 1/3 to 1/2 clean.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:34 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Intake valve ?: How much goo is normal? (FeedVaal)

Actually, cleaning up that stuff will drop your compression, reducing horsepower.
No, you're thinking of carbon buildup on the top of the piston. Sludge on the back of the valve is outside the combustion chamber and does not raise compression.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:37 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Intake valve ?: How much goo is normal? (zwede)

I'm having the same issue on my 454. Sludge on the intake valves is not a good thing. The sludge acts as a sponge randomly absorbing and releasing gasoline which creates incorrect mixtures. Symptoms of valve sludge are hard starting, stumbling (especially when the engine is cold) and bad throttle response. It also restricts flow.

Causes are usually bad PCV system (no baffles in valve covers), leaking intake gasket (sucking oil out of the valley) or bad valvestem seals/guides.

Some slight buildup is normal on a high mileage engine but it should be more of a blackish/dry consistency, not oily.

On mine it was caused by a bad intake seal and it built up almost 1/8" thick. The intake ports were also covered. I since fixed the gasket and it is now slowly cleaning off. Gasoline contains cleaning additives by law and they do work (slowly). Last time I checked my ports were clean, valvestems clean and valves about 1/3 to 1/2 clean.
I def had some leaking around the intake so I bet that also factored into it. I am switchng to a 383 stroker short block so I thought I would change the springs and seals while I had the eng apart. Hope to have better luck with sealing the intake this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake valve ?: How much goo is normal?

Quick Reply: Intake valve ?: How much goo is normal?