C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim Shea or anyone else they may can answer a turn signal wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 12:11 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Jim Shea or anyone else they may can answer a turn signal wiring question.

I just love wiring :smash: :mad I had all of my outside lights working including the turn signals. :hurray: Then it happened, I got greedy and started working on the brake lights. Now the turn signals flash really slow and the brake light on the dash pulses at the same interval. Turn the headlights on and the TS's stop working. :lolg: I know it must be a short or ground issue but it is driving me nuts. I have installed a new TS switch and it has been functioning fine. One problem that I see right off is that the harness connector from the car to the new TS switch has been spliced and repaired several times. This is the one that has about 9 wires going into a long plastic plug. One wire in particulat is black and bare. It seems to be just shoved back into the slot of the connector. I am thinking that this may be where my problem lies. One suggested remedy is to remove the plastic connectors from both the car harness and the TS harness and then attach the wires according to the respective slots that they were in with butt connectors then tape the harness. Will this work? Any other suggestions? I don't really see how I can fix the wires back into the plastic but I may be wrong.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Jim Shea or anyone else they may can answer a turn signal wiring question. (BlackRat)

These are the wires and colors for the wiring harness that attaches to your steering column turn signal switch.

20 gage black - from driver door switch
20 gage pink/black - from key buzzer
20 gage black - from horn relay - hot
20 gage light blue - left front lamp
20 gage dark blue - right front lamp
14 gage brown - from hazard warning flasher on fuse block
14 gage purple - to directional signal flasher
20 gage yellow - left rear lamps
20 gage dark green - right rear lamps
14 gage white - from stop light switch - hot when you press on brake pedal

You certainly don't need the plastic connector to make all of these wires come together between the column and the body harness. The connector makes servicing the column a lot easier and faster. Also, you can really get some confusing reactions if you get cross talk between these various wires.

Some of the wires will show 12 volts all the time. Others will show voltage only when the ignition is on and some other switch is closed. Other wires lead to ground. I tried to figure them out from the vehicle wiring diagram but I am not real good at deciphering it.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:04 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Jim Shea or anyone else they may can answer a turn signal wiring question. (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim this helps out a lot. I know you gotta be thinking "Not this guy again" :crazy: :yesnod: The plastic plug is in such bad shape from the harness end I think that I may snip them one at a time and reconnect them bypassing the plug. Hopefully this will be a little more dependable. If the harnesses weren't so expensive I would just replace it. But $4oo+ could be spent elsewhere.

Thanks
Wade

Get notified of new replies

To Jim Shea or anyone else they may can answer a turn signal wiring question.

Quick Reply: Jim Shea or anyone else they may can answer a turn signal wiring question.