C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Rick68
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery smoke

Ok I take the 68 out for a nice country drive on sunday. The last two times I drove the car it left us stranded so this time I took it real slow doing the speed limit or less on the back roads. I pull over on a nice scenic spot to snap a couple of pics of the car when Cathy notices smoke coming out of the passenger side wheel well :eek: I look and see the smoke coming up over the hood from the wheel well. My fist thought was the front brake had seized like the rear brakes did on our last cruise.but it didn't feel the same no drag when I let off the gas. I got out to look but by that time it was starting to fade so I opened the hood and nothing. The only thing I could see was the expansion tank was making a hissing sound. But I could find no leaks and the lid was on tight. Can the expansion tank let off a cloud of steam ? any other thoughts.The car was running at about 180 deg. and went to 200 deg after stopping for the pics. After 3 times in a row Cathy doesn't trust the vette and I no longer have any enjoyment driving it with the constant thought of what next. :sad:

[Modified by 73Stingraycoupe, 12:12 PM 9/8/2003]

[Modified by 73Stingraycoupe, 12:14 PM 9/8/2003]
Old 09-08-2003, 12:32 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Mystery smoke (73Stingraycoupe)

Hi Rick ...... that timing sucks .... must have only been a bit after Steve and I left. A few questions for you....

What kind of driving were you doing?
Did you notice any smell? Can you describe the smell?
Any fluids noticeable?
Did you notice if the wheel was hot?
Did the "mystery smoke" re appear later?

Lastly ...... have you had any work done to the car recently??

Steve and I can come out and have a look this Saturday if you like.

[Modified by 75Rag, 6:11 PM 9/8/2003]
Old 09-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Rick68
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mystery smoke (75Rag)

Hi Mike

We went a couple of hours after you left.
I was taking it real easy I didn't even go over the speed limit.

There was a burning smell but it didn't last long.

I could smell the antifreeze but I have a small leak in the rad nothing major.

The hissing of the expansion tank caught my attention It made me wonder if it expels steam when hot.

When the smoke dissipated so quickly and the car didn't feel like it did when the brake seized last time I started looking at other possibility's and didn't think to feel the rim for heat :bb

No it did not return on the way back home and the car felt fine.

It was just at the garage to fix the seized rear brake but we trust our mechanic 100% If I had taken it anywhere else I would wonder

Get notified of new replies

To Mystery smoke

Quick Reply: Mystery smoke