C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing New Shock Mount into New Support

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 11:48 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Installing New Shock Mount into New Support

FYI...When installing a new shock mount in a new spindle/shock mount support, the new support comes from the factory with NO knurling in the forward hole for the splines on the shock mount to fit into. Therefore the new mount will not install into the new support without force.

As per Art @ Van Steel, since the shock mount steel is softer than the support and the hole in the support is slightly smaller in diameter than the mount splines, it is safe & proper procedure to hammer the new shock mount into the support with a large (4lb) hammer.

Just thought I might save someone else the anxiety & diappointment of getting new parts and then having them not seem to fit.

Mark
Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
petty44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Installing New Shock Mount into New Support (mdsmith)

I just went through this myself,, I put mine in the freezer over nite and then installed the next day, really eze to put in :thumbs: I'll be taking it back off when I install my new vbp strut rods.... :cool: bushog
Old 09-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Installing New Shock Mount into New Support (mdsmith)

I'd also recommend coating the new mounts with white lithium grease to prevent them from seizing in the support for the next time they have to be removed.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing New Shock Mount into New Support

Quick Reply: Installing New Shock Mount into New Support