C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Solid Spicer U-Joint Problem ... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:32 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default New Solid Spicer U-Joint Problem ... HELP!!!

Unlike all previous posts concerning Spicers, I have the correct part #s and they fit perfect in the drive & 1/2 shafts....my problem is this:

The outer u-joint body on the 1/2 shaft will not fit into the outer flange that bolts to the T-arm bearing assembly. I'm using the standard procedure of:

1. Remove both caps
2. Insert the body inside the flange
3. Press each cap on from the outside.

In that second step, the extra beefy body of the solid joint prevents one side of the flange from sliding far enough down on to the body to where I can get the opposite side of the joint into the flange. Has anyone else had this problem?

The only option I see is to grind a small portion of the u-joint body away so I can get enough clearance. This is super BUBBA but I don't see any other option especially since I refuse to touch the flange itself for fear of weakening it.

Mark
Old 09-08-2003, 11:07 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New Solid Spicer U-Joint Problem ... HELP!!! (mdsmith)

Are you sure you're holding your mouth right? :jester

Double check the part numbers and the actual size compaired to the ones that you have installed already.

Thanks for the info on your web page about installing the L-88 parts on a small block. It saved me a bunch of time and grief. :cheers:
Old 09-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Robd
Pro

My experience with this, providing that the part is correct. Is that most likely that a pin bearing has fallen over and preventing the cap to fully seat.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:34 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New Solid Spicer U-Joint Problem ... HELP!!! (1979toy)

Are you sure you're holding your mouth right? :jester

Double check the part numbers and the actual size compaired to the ones that you have installed already.

Thanks for the info on your web page about installing the L-88 parts on a small block. It saved me a bunch of time and grief. :cheers:
1979toy: Part #s are correct & the u-joints fit perfectly in the 1/2 shafts. They are the same size as the originals except the body is much larger.

Your welcome on the L-88 stuff thats what makes this forum so great...sharing info.

RobD: The caps/needle bearings aren't the issue. I can't even get the u-joint body minus caps into the end flange.

Mark
Old 09-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Robd
Pro

Gotcha, I mis read the question.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:39 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Mark could your flange be bent? I have installed several Spicers lately and found just about every one of the flanges that were previously worked were bent. I bolt them to a 5/8" plate to see if they're flat,soemtimes you can rebend them if they're not too bad.
The latest numbers I have are 5-799x for the 1/2 shafts and 5-790x for the drive shaft. I used a press to install them.
Gary
Old 09-08-2003, 01:07 PM
442olds
Pro

Default Re: New Solid Spicer U-Joint Problem ... HELP!!! (gtr1999)

I had one that just wouldn't go all the way into the outer flange. I bolted it in the car and hit the one cap that wasn't installed all the way with a hammer and a socket of appropriate size and with the flange bolted on it straightened out and the cap went in the rest of the and the retaining clip went right in.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:39 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a similar problem recently when installing mine. The flange was bent slightly causing a misalignment. I was able to bolt the flange onto the spindle with a shim to bend the flange back & complete the install. Measure the dimension from inside to inside of the ridge for the retaining ring on the flange & compare it to the u-joint dimension.

Jim
Old 09-08-2003, 11:09 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New Solid Spicer U-Joint Problem ... HELP!!! (70BBvert)

Jim ... thanks for the tip. One of them was almost an eighth inch narrower from inside ear to inside ear. I ruined it trying to spread it out but I was able to get the other side on with very minimal grinding off the u-joint body. It was mostly casting flash so I doubt it will compromise the strength.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To New Solid Spicer U-Joint Problem ... HELP!!!

Quick Reply: New Solid Spicer U-Joint Problem ... HELP!!!