C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Vintage car races at the Glen...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 08:57 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Went to the Vintage car races at the Glen...

This was the U.S. Zippo Grand Prix weekend. Man it was the best car show in the world !!! I can't believe the cars that I not only saw in the pits, buit watched & heard out on the track up to speed :eek: . Watching these cars pass on the straightaway, it sounded sooo cool, there were cars revving to 10,000 rpms, then there were the bigblocks that were probably doing 7-8,000 rpms.

There were real Shelby 427 Cobras, L88's, Shelby Mustangs, Chevy & Jaguar powered Listers, Lolas, a real Ford GT40, vintage Bugattis, Porsches, & Ferraris. Aside from these cars, there were also TransAm, GT, GTP and World Challenge cars.

I met Vic and Cammy Edelbrock who were racing there. It's truely amazing to neet someone like Victor and see how humble of a man he is. Here is a legend giving car nuts the time of day and talking to them like he's known them for years. It was also reallyu neat to see his daughter walking around the race cars with a camcorder in hand taping the different cars. I was im,pressed to see that the really are car people. Vic was racing his 1963 Split window Corvette and she was in a 4spd Mustang Fastback.

My friend that was there racing his 68 Corvette did great in the 1st heat, moving into 9th position on Saturday for the 2nd heat. On the 2nd heat, he left with the group but we didn't see him come back around, his distributor cap expolded in turn 9 killing his engine. When we saw the cap, it was all in pieces. He was glad it was an easy fix, but was disappointed that he had to start at the back of the pack on Sunday because he knew there would be no way to get to the front of the pack if you need to go thru traffic and the front guys are running the same speeds as he is without the traffic.

It was a great weekend, & I can't wait until next years :cheers:
Old 09-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Went to the Vintage car races at the Glen... (SmokedTires)

Sweet...Where are the pics??
Old 09-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Fasteighty
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember going to those races back when I lived in Upstate NY. I always had a great time!
Old 09-08-2003, 04:52 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds like you had the best day ever, I wish I could go there one day. Did you happen to take any pics while you were there? :cheers:
Old 09-08-2003, 07:01 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

i went for the same race a couple of years ago.i was just as excited when i saw all those awesome cars racing pretty hard.the glen is about a 4 to 5 hr ride for me.we were planning to go to lime rock park for labor day but it was raining.
vintage race cars RULE :thumbs:
how about some pics
Old 09-09-2003, 06:57 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Went to the Vintage car races at the Glen... (java0881)

Yeah, I had the best time there. It was sooo :cool: . I only brought my video camera this time to catch the action live. Next year I will bring the regular (hopefully digital ;) ) camera with me to post some pics ;) .
Old 09-09-2003, 07:17 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

It will take a few days but if you go to http://www.svra.com you will find the pics of the event look for "events" then "Zippo" and finally look under "post race"
...redvetracr
Old 09-09-2003, 08:18 AM
JCL
Burning Brakes

Mike. Sounds like the place to be. Have it planned for next year. Had a couple of cars there with the "baffles." Later, JCL :yesnod: :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Went to the Vintage car races at the Glen...

Quick Reply: Went to the Vintage car races at the Glen...