C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission?

How loud it is and what kind of noise goes it make or compair to? What is the big deal with the "Ultimate 4-Speed"?
Old 09-07-2003, 08:12 PM
bnytro
Advanced

Default Re: HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission? (Corvettelvr73)

the rock crusher transmission gears are straight cut, you stand 300 yard away from a car with this trany and you will here it whine from any angle. plus on any high excelleration you can easily shift up through the gears with out using the clutch just slight ease off the gas, a trany mounted shifter will vibrate more than normal giving hand a tingle on long trips, its kinds cool all the way around, if you like all those things but its not bullet prouf like people believe
Old 09-07-2003, 08:27 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission? (bnytro)

"Rockcrusher" gears are NOT straight cut they are cut at a lesser angle. They whine some but no where as loud as you will if you ever have to buy a GM replacement gear. The "Richmond" Super T-10 with road race synchros is a much better bargain.
...redvetracr
Old 09-07-2003, 08:30 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission? (bnytro)

I don't find it that loud but but I am used to it The clutch is very stiff compared to stock. I put in a CF df last year and it helped what I thought was alot until I get in other 4 sp C3's, C4's or C5's - they feel so light that it is almost like pushing against air. There are other differences I have noticed at very low speed as well. Back to the noise issue - MotorHead was over the other week with his newly installed solid roller and commented on how noisey it was, compared to my engine it seemed very very quiet, as did his tranny. One of the things I like about putting an L-88 hood on is that I can hear more of the goings on at speed, not just the exhaust note and tranny.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:48 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission? (Corvettelvr73)

1st and 2nd gear basically sound like a granny gear in a truck, and yes I could hear those 2 gears over my engine. Once in 3rd/4th really didn't hear much of the wine. If you ever get a chance to catch the movie "Two Lane Black Top", the 55-57 Chevy James Taylor is driving has a M22 in it. You can really tell when he pulls out of the gas station in the one scene.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission? (70PurpleLS7)

1st and 2nd gear basically sound like a granny gear in a truck, and yes I could hear those 2 gears over my engine. Once in 3rd/4th really didn't hear much of the wine. If you ever get a chance to catch the movie "Two Lane Black Top", the 55-57 Chevy James Taylor is driving has a M22 in it. You can really tell when he pulls out of the gas station in the one scene.
That is a great movie. The first true movie about street racing. Did you know that the chevy in that movie is also the car Harrison Ford drives in american graffitti?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:04 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission? (70PurpleLS7)

I gotta rent that movie now just for that "M-22" scene :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission?

Quick Reply: HOW loud is a Rockcrusher Transmission?