C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I switch to a non-A/C car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 06:33 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I switch to a non-A/C car?

Can I just remove the box out of the engine bay and cover it with an aluminum plate or is there more involved?
Old 09-07-2003, 07:17 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do I switch to a non-A/C car? (79VetteMike)

The heater box is a lot different than the heat and A/C box. If you are going to retain the heater you need to locate a heater box. Good luck finding a '79 heater only box. There were only about 6,000 made without A/C.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:04 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do I switch to a non-A/C car? (1979toy)

What all is in the heater box?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:34 PM
NorthVette
Racer

I think the easy way is to pull the compressor and al the lines/hoses (make sure your system is NOT under any pressure! And run like that with the original heater box... That's how mine was relieved of it's a/c....

Just a thought....
Old 09-07-2003, 10:00 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do I switch to a non-A/C car? (NorthVette)

I've been doing that, but I'd like to get rid of that box, besides it's cracked.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:17 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think that the box would be year specific. I am using an 80 outside A/C box, a 72 inside A/C box in a 69 non-A/C car and all the mounting holes were in the right place. I would find a complete non-A/C setup and install the inside and outside boxes and be done with it. You would have to do a little rigging to make the controls work and/or remove the recirc-door on the RH side.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:38 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: How do I switch to a non-A/C car? (markdtn)

I had a friend that bought a base Corvette in '78. I bought one loaded and his was several dollars less than m1ine was($11,700 for mine list). Then I noticed that he didn't have A/C on it. Said he didn't need it with T-Tops. Oh well, that was the only one I ever saw.

As for the A/C box I was going to suggest looking at an earlier year as the cowl is the same. The only diference I recall in the pre '78 was that it was a little larger on the inside box than the later '78-'82s The smaller size allowed a glove box in th e'78 up. I would have rather had a larger box and better A/C myself. The heater box only from an earlier car should work just fine.

I saw a post earlier wanting a Heater Control for a '78 up C-3. I would suggest seeing a silk screen person that could generate a computer image like you want and then silk screen it onto a piece of plexi-glass for you. I also might look at a '78-'87 Malibu/Monte/Cutlass etc, it's close to the same size and might fit yor need. Email me if you need one. I know where an NOS one is. Jim
Old 09-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Doesn't anyone make a small heater that could be hidden behind the dash? I know that guys who have gone to aftermarket A/Cs mount the whole thing behind the dash, and run flex hose to their vents.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I switch to a non-A/C car?

Quick Reply: How do I switch to a non-A/C car?