C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power to starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default No power to starter

I’ve got a remote solenoid and have power to one side of it. However, when the wife tries to start it there’s no power coming out of the other side of the solenoid (going to the starter). I’ve been messing around with the steering column doing a Steeroids install and had a problem yesterday with the key not coming out. I moved the little steering column lever on the firewall up and the key goes back to lock but no start. Reckon this has anything to do with it? I’ve put on a new battery ground and had the battery tested. When I turn the key 2 clicks the electric fuel pump comes on, just like it always has. It sounds like the solenoid might be bad but how do I test it? Could the ignition switch be bad, even though it activates the electric fuel pump?

Brett :thumbs:
Old 09-07-2003, 05:35 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: No power to starter (Brettmc)

:( I’m sorry Brett but I just don’t see any use for a remote solenoid. But to try to help, if no power is going to the battery then the solenoid isn’t picking up. This is either a bad solenoid or there’s no power from the starter switch. Assuming this remote solenoid has exposed terminals where you can measure voltage and you can use a voltmeter. You measured 12VDC from the battery cable to ground and 0VDC on the starter terminal to ground right? Now try to measure about 12VDC to ground on the terminal that goes to the starter switch with the switch in start. If 12VDC power on both switch side terminal and wire to ground terminal you have a bad remote solenoid. If no power then it’s a switch/steering column wiring problem. :yesnod:
Old 09-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: No power to starter (cardo0)

There's one solitary wire on one of the two front terminals (the side terminals are 12v in and 12v out to starter) so that must be the ignition wire. I'll see if it's got 12v when the key is on. I hope it does cause I really don't want to get into the column again.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you ground the new solenoid?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: No power to starter (Stewart's74)

The solenoid was on there when I bought the car. Haven't had any starting problems until now. The car has been up on jackstands for about 4-5 weeks for a Steeroids install. No wiring has been touched during this time. However, I've been down in the driver's footwell loosening the column and I've had the steering wheel off the column and the column disassembled to the point where I could see the turn signal innards.

That little lever on the column by the firewall had fallen down, not allowing me to start the car or remove the key. I got it pushed back up and can remove the key but can't start the car. I've got 12v coming into the solenoid. I jst need to determine if the ignition wire on it has 12v when the key is on. I guess if it doesn't have 12v on it, then the ignition is bad. If it does have 12v on it when the key is on, then the remote solenoid is bad. Anyway, that's how I understand the above post. I sure as heck hope it's not the ignition switch.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Found the problem last nite. I discovered that there was not 12v on the ignition wire when starting. I traced the ignition wire back into the driver footwell and discovered a Bubba connection that I had probably knocked apart while loosening the column from the firewall. WHEW!!!

Get notified of new replies

To No power to starter

Quick Reply: No power to starter