C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, what am I missing here? Centerforce DF & clutch fork alignment??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Ok, what am I missing here? Centerforce DF & clutch fork alignment??

I have the adjustable ball stud set at 1.75" height and when I screw it into the bellhousing, the fork ends up all out of alignment with the pressure plate. No way the tranny shaft will work at that angle?? :cuss

The outside part of the fork is then wedged against the bellhousing. Is the 1.75 inch too long. Having read numerous posts about the correct length I already JB welded the stud. :cry

Any ideas?? :confused:

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 10:14 AM 9/7/2003]
Old 09-07-2003, 10:48 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Ok, what am I missing here? Centerforce DF & clutch fork alignment?? (1970 Stingray)

Don't really understand the question? :skep:

But for starters, it looks like the top spring on the bearing is out of the groove. Both fork springs need to be in the bearing groove.

Two, the bearing does not sit in the fork all the way. Your pic makes the bearing look off center. Pull the bearing out (the bearing will only be about half way in the fork), your input shaft will center it.

Hope this helps.
Terry
Old 09-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Ok, what am I missing here? Centerforce DF & clutch fork alignment?? (1970 Stingray)

Len

Don't go by what others have posted for their stud length, you have to follow the orange card on how to set the right distance since your lakewood bellhousing and fork are prolly diff then a stock vette bellhousing.

And I think you are screwed on that stud, have to get another. :(
Old 09-08-2003, 04:34 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks. I didn't have time to check things out as suggested. I re-examine that bearing Terry, thanks.

Fevre----I was recalling Steve Straus' post about the ball stud length. I think he's using a Lakewood scattershield. I was hoping to save some time using the trial & tribulations of others. :D

Yeah, I think I'm screwed on the ball stud. Don't know if you remember the one post about a NAPA stock ball stud, But I got screwed on that one too. It's 1.74" but the threads are coarse and would never work with the Lakewood bellhousing.

Thanks for your help guys, this is my first attempt at a clutch/pressureplate installation. :(
Old 09-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (1970 Stingray)

Thanks. I didn't have time to check things out as suggested. I re-examine that bearing Terry, thanks.

Fevre----I was recalling Steve Straus' post about the ball stud length. I think he's using a Lakewood scattershield. I was hoping to save some time using the trial & tribulations of others. :D

Yeah, I think I'm screwed on the ball stud. Don't know if you remember the one post about a NAPA stock ball stud, But I got screwed on that one too. It's 1.74" but the threads are coarse and would never work with the Lakewood bellhousing.

Thanks for your help guys, this is my first attempt at a clutch/pressureplate installation. :(
Ya too bad all our mistakes aren't under $20. :)
Old 09-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Len,
I've just got done with my setup whcih is identical to yours. I used the adjustable ball with 1.75" setting with the stock vette clutch fork and everything came out perfect. I think your problem is the fork which appears to be aftermarket and doesn't look right. If you don't have one, you can get the stock one from Zip, Ecklers, etc. Also, the CF clutch came with an orange sheet describing how the fork engages the bearing. Make sure that you align them right also as said above. Good luck with it. Email me if you have any other ?s.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Len,
I've just got done with my setup whcih is identical to yours. I used the adjustable ball with 1.75" setting with the stock vette clutch fork and everything came out perfect. I think your problem is the fork which appears to be aftermarket and doesn't look right. If you don't have one, you can get the stock one from Zip, Ecklers, etc. Also, the CF clutch came with an orange sheet describing how the fork engages the bearing. Make sure that you align them right also as said above. Good luck with it. Email me if you have any other ?s.
Thanks Mark. Yeah, you're corrrect, that's a Lakewood fork. And I thought I would simplify things by keeping everything "Lakewood". I'll order a stock fork and try this again next weekend.
:thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, what am I missing here? Centerforce DF & clutch fork alignment??

Quick Reply: Ok, what am I missing here? Centerforce DF & clutch fork alignment??