C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blowby

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 09:51 AM
madvette74
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Default blowby

i have almost 1300 miles on my motor, should it have any blowby? it does have some, not a lot. just not sure if there should be any....
Old 09-07-2003, 03:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: blowby (madvette74)

Every engine I have ever seen has a LOT of blowby demonstrated by the smoke from the valve covers, assuming the PCV is disconnected, the breathers off, and the engine idling...it's AMAZING the amount of smoke/fumes/exhaust coming out of there....to me it seems as if every damn one of those engines throug the years, including some new dead stock one's would have some sort of defect or something,,.....it's situation NORMAL....

guess that partly explains why our engines run at somethine like 50% thermal efficiency....being optimistic...

GENE
Old 09-08-2003, 01:04 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't feel bad, the new avalanche engines burn up to 1/2 a qt every 1k miles until they have about 20k miles on them. weird.... my service buddy says that's just a testiment to longivety that it takes 20k miles to break in.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:51 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

mad -
At 1300 miles, the rings should be seated and you should not have any excess blowby. If you're blowing oil out the breather with the PCV hooked up and working, you have a ring seating problem. With the PCV disconnected, you should have a very slight amount of blowby, but still not much. With the PCV hooked up, you should be able to hold you hand over the opposite valve cover breather hole and feel a slight suction on the crankcase.

To check it out correctly, you need to do a cylinder leakdown test on each cylinder. A new engine prior to ring seating fully will have a leakdown of about 15%. After ring seating, you should be under 10%. A well-built engine with file-fit rings will often see as low as 5%. If you're over 15%, you have a problem...

Get notified of new replies

To blowby

Quick Reply: blowby