C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to bend CONVOLUTED exhaust tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 01:37 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default How to bend CONVOLUTED exhaust tubing?

:mad Tried to bend some convoluted exhaust tubing (yes, Pep Boys) – without success – to make a temporary run from the collectors to the stock pipes at the cross member. Brief instructions say to only bend 5 degrees per ring (convolute) then move tubing out of vise one more ring and bend another 5*. First ring bent a few* but next ring bent about 40* as others behind it wouldn’t budge. Tried localized heat with propane torch too – but still no luck. And this stuff ain’t cheap at $20 a piece.
Am I missing something here or do I need to tow it to Midas and back before startup? I took measurements but don’t look forward to having custom pipes with S bends made using my numbers. Plan to install H-pipe in future anyways. :confused:
Old 09-07-2003, 03:20 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: How to bend CONVOLUTED exhaust tubing? (cardo0)

ttt
Old 09-08-2003, 12:28 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: How to bend CONVOLUTED exhaust tubing? (cardo0)

OK, so you don't feel bad, here is what I did.... let's see if I can remember....

1. Bought a complete exhaust system that included bent pipe to connect headers to the rear pipe. The prebent pieces didn't fit.

2. Went to Pep Boys and bought that same ribbed tin pipe you bought. I couldnt put the slightest bend in it!! :lol: and I don't have a torch.

3. Ordered some flex pipe from JC Whitney. (Pep Boys has the same crap, but I don't think their pieces were long enuf). I barely managed to bend the flex pipe to connect my headers (with reducers) to the rear pipes. I got some use out of the tin pipe crap (see #2 above) by chopping off some 3" pieces that I used sort of as donuts to help connect the flex pipe to the rear exhaust pipe.

This was several hundred miles ago, and I am still dreaming about a more permanent solution.

4. Bought Hedman S-shaped connectors... they don't fit either :( One of these days I will take it to an exhaust shop.....

MJ

Get notified of new replies

To How to bend CONVOLUTED exhaust tubing?

Quick Reply: How to bend CONVOLUTED exhaust tubing?