C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 12:29 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . .

I am trying to get a clarification on the proper Flowmaster 40 configuration to us on my '68 so that the muffler will fit as flush as possible and out of sight. I also want to use stock looking tips and exit through the proper bezel.

Offset inlet/outlet or Offset inlet/Center outlet?

A lot of people had told me that they used the center outlet and it does not seem to want to fit up there nicely and still leave enough room. Muffler shop is saying offset inlet/outlet which contradicts the Forum. I have already bought center outlets.

Please advise.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:39 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . . (hudman)

My 40s are as tight as you can get, Im not sure of your terminology but fwd part is in center with aft part to the outside. Part 942442. Hope that helps.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:50 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . . (Surfer69)

That part number is the center inlet, offset outlet, which is even a 3rd combination. The plot thickens.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:15 AM
Jay M
Drifting

I just had Flowmasters installed...along with a new exhaust system. They did a beautiful job! If you want i can post a picture tomorrow. I don't know what series they are, but at 1700 rpms there is an annoying drone they drives me crazy.... buy other than that the sound really cool.

The new exhaust system has made me like a 16 year old, i just sit and rev the engine and smile! :)

~Jay
Old 09-07-2003, 11:08 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . . (Jay M)

I saw your other thread. Sorry you are having so much trouble. My exhaust is still not how I would like it, but my constraint has been that I am doing all the work, and stories like yours do not make me want to rush over to the nearest muffler shop! :rolleyes:

1. Like most of us, I am sure you want to use flowmasters but still keep the system looking as close to stock as possible. The stock configuration is offset inlet, and center outlet. Here is a pic borrowed from Allen's website:

2. You can see the bends that are on the stock mufflers, both inlet and outlet. Flowmaster mufflers do not have these bends, so they must be added on by the exhaust shop. (Or else you clamp on elbows as I did at home).

3. The 50 series mufflers I have are larger than stock, so they don't fit as well as stock. I have quite a bit of "visible muffler", more than I would like. But I thought the 40 series was smaller and should fit better.

4. Tips are a problem. Any stock style/repro tips will be 2 1/4. Again, you need some kind of bend or elbow on the outlet side of the muffler to attach the tip to. I am still looking for some nice tips (May have found a source at Carlisle but he was sold out). I got some 2 1/2" tips from JC whitney but they widen out to 3" and look a bit "ricey" to me. :lol:

5. If you are paying to have the work done, definitely have them install an H-pipe. It will improve the performance and sound of your system. Especially with the 40 series which will be loud, an H pipe could make the difference between bearable and unbearable.

Good luck! :) MJ
Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . . (MNJack)

4. Tips are a problem. Any stock style/repro tips will be 2 1/4. Again, you need some kind of bend or elbow on the outlet side of the muffler to attach the tip to. I am still looking for some nice tips (May have found a source at Carlisle but he was sold out). I got some 2 1/2" tips from JC whitney but they widen out to 3" and look a bit "ricey" to me. :lol:
MJ
Some nice close to original style tips here:
http://www.stainlessworks.net/Exhaust%20Tips.htm
Old 09-07-2003, 09:37 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . . (76Frankenstein)

JayM-I would love to see a picture of your system. Did you go with the 40's or 50's? What is the configuration of the muffler? (offset or center inlet, offset or center outlet)

MNJack-What is the configuration of your 50's?

BTW-The muffler shop has a 2 1/2 inch tip that looks exactly like the stock unit, only bigger. It does not flare out to 3 inches like the one you have.

[Modified by hudman, 9:39 PM 9/7/2003]
Old 09-08-2003, 12:18 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

MNJack-What is the configuration of your 50's?
I have the offset inlet/center outlet so everything follows the stock configuration, more or less, like the picture above. MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 12:19 AM 9/8/2003]
Old 09-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . . (MNJack)

The Model number is 942453, and they are 50 series.

here are some pics:

I think they are just as descrete as the stock mufflers, but they are really close to the spare tire carier. I haven't tried to open it yet.

~Jay
Old 09-08-2003, 12:16 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . . (Jay M)

JAYM-

The model number posted is the offset inlet and outlet. That is the same one the guy at the muffler shop recommended for me. I was going with the 40's, though. Do you think I am making a mistake with the 40's vs. the 50's?

How do you like the 50's? Are they loud enough. A lot of folks have said the 40's will be too loud. Others have said there is not really a difference given the fact that there is no pipe beyond the muffler on the vette.

Others on the Forum had suggested the center outlets, but with further investigation I think those folks drive mid 70's vettes and do not have the exhaust cut outs in the rear valence. Of course you would want a center outlet if you were just doing some sort of turn down pipe. But with the rear valence cutout, you can tell how it would be difficult to fit the center outlet muffler through the exhaust cut out without turning it at an awkward angle. Then it does not sit flush and can be seen.

I think that MNJacks are center outlets, so this is probably why you can see his muffler as evidenced by his comments above.

Thanks for the photos. I am going with the same offset inlet and outlet.

Let me know about how you like your sound.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Jay M
Drifting

I think they are a little too loud. They sound really cool at idle, though loud. And at high RMPs they sound really mean..but not much louder. But my biggest concern is that between 1500 and 1700 RPMs there is a really loud and annoying drone. With the new 5 speed i am in that range all the time!!

I have an X-pipe... maybe an H pipe would be better.

But unless you want it to sound like a Harley, don't get anything louder than the 50s!

I do plan on making a high quality recording of the sound, and then making an MP3 available. Let me know if you would be interested in that. I don't know how to post it, but I would be able to email it to you.

~Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . .

Quick Reply: Calling '68 and '69 owners with Flowmaster mufflers. . .