C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions for big block guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 09:47 AM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Couple of questions for big block guys

Greetings --- I'm going to be install a 454 in my '77 in the next couple of months.
Questions:
I've got a deep sump oil pan on the bb now -- it is about 1" to 1.5"'s lower at the sump - will this rub on the ground or do you think I'll have enough room. Wouldn't mind a measurement if any of you guys are going to be under your cars.
Can I use the stock mounts? Vette didn't have different frame mounts for bb's did they?
I've got the brackets, headers, radiator covered - going to be using a turbo 400 and have a cowl scoop (should finish about 3.5"04") being mounted on a spare hood for clearance
Any tips, hints, been-there-done-that stories will be appreciated.

Also have a dual quad intake for the bb -- but that another post.

thanks in advance
Ronnie
Old 09-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Couple of questions for big block guys (rrent)

Well, I had the original oil pan on and afterwards I was very concerned with the ground clearance. I had maybe 4-5 inches from the ground (I also have #550 springs). I decided to go w/ a Moroso pan with kickouts for added cooling compacity and I also gained about 4 inches in clearance in the swap.

:cheers:
Old 09-06-2003, 10:30 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Couple of questions for big block guys (Corey 68)

I`ve got 3 inches to spare with a standard, before the pan makes contact with mother pavement.. :smash: :smash: :cheers:
Old 09-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that it has anything to do with the swap but ... your choice of transmission is the best... TH400's are the best transmission G/M made. It can handle the power without eating clutches. It uses an elcectric kickdown BTW. I know it is contreversial but I do not personally like TH700R4's....
Old 09-06-2003, 07:14 PM
rrent
Drifting

Default Re: Couple of questions for big block guys (BB wowbagger)

BB wowbagger --thanks ---- looks like I'll be getting a different pan and pump/pickup -- what I have is a matched set (pump/pickup) for the deep pan -- ebay for it -- now that I think of it I guess it might be rare and mint :D :D :D

bluevetteman - I have a tranny guy (he's done about 6 for me over the years) -- who a big 400 fan and promises me he can make my turbo 400 strong enough to live behind anything I have planned --- I hate to turn the big block 3K+ with my 3.55's at highway speed -- but what the hey -- you gotta do what you gotta do
Old 09-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my 3.55's I run 3k @70 mph. I know you'll run a little more but It's really nice having it right in the power band when those buzzy winged ricer's pull up to show you their stuff. There's a black ZX that tries to out run me out of a toll booth every day or two ... He's a slow learner.. :lol: :chevy
Old 09-06-2003, 08:23 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Couple of questions for big block guys (bluevetteman)

Blue, that is a funny comment....gotta love it, I"m only a SB, and I do the same thing.....

I wish I had a 200 though....maybe next time around...

GENE
Old 09-06-2003, 08:52 PM
rrent
Drifting

Default Re: Couple of questions for big block guys (mrvette)

bluevetteman - I hear that I had an extemely loud 3rd gen. Firebird making noise in my ear stop light after stop light ---one day last week --- nothing as much fun as staying side by side - but knowing you are running maybe 1/2 thottle -- I guess for them its racing the old Corvette from the stop light -- for me just rolling on down the road

Get notified of new replies

To Couple of questions for big block guys

Quick Reply: Couple of questions for big block guys