C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got to drive the Vette for the 1st time in 6 months!!

Old 09-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally got to drive the Vette for the 1st time in 6 months!!

It was the simple project that got completely out of control! I wanted it to run a little better so i planned on just rebuilding the top end...

well i tore the engine down and realized that the short block wasn't looking so good.. so I decided to do a full rebuild....

then I knew that it needed some serious transmission work and i really wanted a 5 speed.

So here's what i ended up doing:

rebuilt the 427 with a 454 crank and roller cam
holly carb and torker II intake
about 490hp 540tq

Keisler TKO

McCloud clutch

scatter sheild

Hydroboost

Dewitt rad with dual Spal fans

New exhaust system with X-pipe and Flowmaeters

new wireing harness

new C4 seats

There are a lot of little bugs to work out still!
But it is gonna be rreally fun

Transmission:
The TKO is the perfect transmission- there is always a perfect gear for the speed you are going with the 3.55 rear end.
The Keisler kit did't fit very well. the Drive drive shaft needed to be modified, and a custom mount needed to be fabricated. The mount they provided placed the transmission too close to the body.
The shifter is very stiff, but it only has 40 miles on it. The throws are VERY short and close! I am a small person so I really like that. I used to feel like I was rowing a boat!

Dewitt Rad:
Works perfectly. The install took a lot of time because the mounts didn't line up very well at all. The shop ended up moving the mounts on my car to better fit the rad.
It was 95 degrees when i drove it home. it was a very harsh drive 30 miles with a mountain that i had to go over. The temp sat just below 210!! in fact no matter what the outside temp was the gauge stayed in the same spot!! no fluctuation. I guess the cooling system is doing it's job!
Reving the engine without a mechanical fan is music to my ears!

The Exhaust:
I had bought Thorley Headers- but they didn't even come close to fitting :(
The shop talked me into keeping the stock manifolds. My engine builder said it would only cost me 15hp.
The sound is pretty awesome. Very deep at idle, and frightening when i rev the engine! But there is a horrible drone at 1500 rpms. That really sucks because with the overdrive 1500 rpms is cruising speed. I may need to change the mufflers.

The Brakes:
THe Hydroboost needs a hundred miles before it works properly, but i already see the benefit! There is an amazing amount of stopping power!!! I drove the car for about two hours yesterday. This morning i drove the '96 Maxima to work (i wanted to drive the vette, but the battery was dead..more about that latter...) The Maxima has outstanding brakes that require very little effort.. but this morning i thought they had failed. They felt soft and mushey when compared to the Hydroboost!
The hydroboost still needs to be broken in to feel good at low speeds, but so far so good!

The Engine:
With only 40 miles on the transmission I haven't really pushed it, but it feels very strong!! :) I think it will be dangerous on the street. :eek:

The Bugs:
This list is VERY long...
There is an electrical short somewhere... I suspect the widsheild wiper motor, but i left the battery attached last night an now it is dead :mad

The Brake pedal is in a different place now so i can't get the brake lights adjusted properly... i don't know how to address that yet.

speedo doesn't work

Tach bounces and the cable is noisy

I need to find an air cleaner that fits under the hood perfectly

The starter is on it's last legs... I need a high torque starter i think

the steering wheel and seats do not work well together... the C4 seat cussion is too close to the steering wheel, i need to squeese in.

there is a tiny oil leak.. i saw a drop on the bottom of the scatter sheild and a small spot on the driveway.

I hope i get get through a few of those things tomorrow and can drive the car to the local Cruise night.

But this will be an awesome car once that list is taken care of... The only thing i will stiil want is A/C on hot days ;)

Much thanks to everyone on the Forum for giving me the confidance to do much of the work myself:)

~Jay
Old 09-05-2003, 02:22 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Finally got to drive the Vette for the 1st time in 6 months!! (Jay M)

Ya sometimes those small projects can get a out of hand. :lol: I know how you feel, mine sat for most of the fist 4 years I owned do to several eng related failures. Drove the **** out of it these last 2 though so good times are head.
:party:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally got to drive the Vette for the 1st time in 6 months!!