C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE

Can a speed handle with a priming tool be used? I on a car show on television (horsepower tv I think) Where the hosts had former NASCAR
engine builder build an engine and he used an oil priming tool with a speed handle. He gave it a few turns and he stated that the pump was primed. I dont want to use a distributor with the drive gear off, nor do I want to use a drill. If anyone has an idea of what Im talking about could they please post a pic of this tool that can be used with a speed handle or tell me what type of ol pump priming tool it is.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:07 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE (Oldguard 7)

I don't know about using a speed handle (kinda doubt it though) but when I change the oil in my truck it takes 3 - 4 seconds at idle for the oil pessure gauge to respond.

Steve :steering:
Old 09-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE (stpman)

Just buy an oil pump primer for a power drill, and spin it till oil squirts into the valve covers
Old 09-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't confuse priming the pump with priming the engine.

when a new oil pump is installed, it must be primed, i.e. be wet inside before it will work. this can be done by hand or with a tool; it doesn’t take much. priming the engine is often done on a new engine with a modified distributor or a similar fixture powered by a hand drill. you need a strong fast drill to see the oil flow up to the valves, but it does a good job of supplying all the bearings and cam with fresh clean oil.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE (Turbo-Jet)

Cam, thanks for the explaination. I was wondering if that mechanical priming did indeed allow the oil to reach the crank bearings.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:31 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Default Re: PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE (1970 Stingray)

get a plain old chevy point distributor at a swap meet. Remove the guts and end gear. Cut the top of the shaft off and either weld a nut on or have it turned to fit into the chuck of a drill. Install the distributor and get an old oil presure gage-also at the same swap meet, and plumb it into the 1/8" hole by the distributor. Run the drill until you have 30+ psi of pressure.
Gary
Old 09-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Remove the hot wire to the distrib and crank engine until you see pressure on the oil gauge.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:35 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE (paul67)

Remove the hot wire to the distrib and crank engine until you see pressure on the oil gauge.
Paul the only problem with that is that you are turning your engine when the bearings have no oil on them. Thhat means its crank against bearings( rod and main) plus cam bearings and the rings. pistons against the cylinder

Definitely not good for a brand new engine. But its what I always did when I fired the vette up in the spring and that engine lasted for 12 years at least.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE (MikeC)

Sounds like I cat get around the drill. Thanks for lettling me know the difference between priming the pump and priming the engine. How powerful a drill will I need. I have a small Black and Decker hand drill. It that powerful enough to allow oil to reach the valve train?
Old 09-05-2003, 04:32 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How powerful a drill will I need. I have a small Black and Decker hand drill. It that powerful enough to allow oil to reach the valve train?
Half inch drill will do the job
Old 09-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Rich1968
Heel & Toe

Oldguard,
Just an additional comment. I bought the MR gasket engine/oil pump primer to prime my engine a couple years back and the guy I bought it from told me that the cheaper model which was all he had would only get oil up to one head. This guy owns a engine rebuilding shop.The more expensive one would get it up to both heads. I think the better primer had the gear like the other posters are telling you to use. I bought the cheaper model but made sure to save some oil and pour on I think the left head but not totally 100% on that. Anyway just something to keep in mind. Good luck!!

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE

Quick Reply: PRIMING OIL PUMP/ENGINE