C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:28 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there?

I'm considering putting a big block in my 1980 Corvette with a rebuilt 3.70 rear and automatic transmission. Does anyone have any experience with this type of swap? I'm looking for information on working with brackets and fit for the alternator, power steering pump, starter and power brakes. I'm leaving out the A/C for now. Also looking for information on big block headers and fit (I know Heddman makes them), and aftermarket aluminum intake with the stock '80 hood. I realize I may have to modify the hood, but would like to avoid that if possible. A tough job, but this would be a neat project once (if) completed. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2003, 09:11 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there? (surfolly)

Welcome to the Forum! If you do this swap, I would be VERY interested in the results.

I wonder what tranny and rear would be best for an '80 with a big block.

Personally, I can't make up my mind as to what I want to do to my '80. BIG or small block???

Anyway, good luck! :thumbs:

[Modified by AGVI, 9:12 PM 9/4/2003]
Old 09-04-2003, 09:24 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there? (AGVI)

I put in a big smallblock.Don't have to worry about brackets,pulleys,exhaust fit if you keep the stock stuff. I shot myself in the foot by going aftermarket on some of the parts.
I'm now trying to figure out how to keep the 500hp from blowing the transmission for the second time. :banghead:
Old 09-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

surfolly, if you can get a complete BBC (pulleys, brackets, etc.), probably not 'too' difficult. Try finding an Impala/full-size (maybe a wagon?) to get all you need, including a tranny (THM400 preffered).
I think yer screwed as far as using the '80 hood, though. A buddy had a '77; his hood & mine weren't CLOSE to being alike, for height-clearences. Even the 'lowest' after-market intake might not clear. Maybe get a 'cheap' after-market hood?
If yer gonna build REAL power, and 'use it' at the Stop-light Nationals or 'Oh-Dark-Thirty Speedway' with sticky tires, the rear might not survive. The general built the '80-'82 rears to handle 230 NHP, not 400+
Should be an 'interesting' Shark.....
:thumbs:
Old 09-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

A basic bolt in operation. But will need a HD radiator and big block shroud to handle the cooling. Accessory brackets from a BB vette. Stronger front springs to handle the added weight. Approprate adjustments to the rear suspension to handle the changes to the front suspension and weight bias change. A low rise intake may clear your hood, not sure, earlier BB Vettes used a low rise. And last but not least, what emission inspections are you subject to? An 80 was never certified for a big block so in the eyes of the EPA it is an illegal swap.

tom...
Old 09-04-2003, 11:38 PM
Red69
Racer

Default Re: 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there? (Tom73)

The brackets for 69-71's with BB should work... I would try using most of those parts because the're is not too much difference in the engin compartment designs. :flag
Old 09-05-2003, 01:11 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there? (Red69)

The brackets for 69-71's with BB should work... I would try using most of those parts because the're is not too much difference in the engin compartment designs. :flag
THe 1980 hood has more clearance than some people think. I think you should be able to get an aluminum intake under that hood unless you go with a high rise or an air gap.
All the stock brackets and pullies from the early C3's with BB's should work fine in a 1980.
As far as headers, check out http://www.sandersonheaders.com - they make some nice stuff, and you can even get some cast ones that will keep much of that heat in. With a BB, regular headers can get pretty close to other items in the engine compartment and make it pretty crispy.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:57 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there? (BSeery)

The pulley's are a killer though. The 3 groove water pump pulley is well over $300 and climbing.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=635472

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 4:58 AM 9/5/2003]
Old 09-07-2003, 11:26 AM
shawn_cake
Racer

I put a ZZ502 in my 1980 - then took it out - added a stroker crank for 532 cid. The main problem is underhood heat with header equipped big blocks in C3's. I finally got a 5 core Griffin Black Ice rad with dual electric cooling fans.

You'll have to upgrade the front springs, shocks and sway bar for the increased weight of the big block. Suggest you try the Vette Bakes website or the Guldstrand website for suspension suggestions.

Look at my web in my sig for engine pixs. http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/scake/index.shtml

:thumbs: :steering: :thumbs:

[Modified by shawn_cake, 9:30 AM 9/7/2003]
Old 09-07-2003, 12:54 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there? (shawn_cake)

You want big power slap a 406 roller motor in :D
Old 09-07-2003, 02:53 PM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there? (MotorHead)

I'm getting ready to drop a bb in my '77 -- I've been using the following to gather brackets -- I have a spare number 2 if you get to where you need one

I just started up loading pics to cardomain - so hope you aren't looking at the white box little red X.

I didn't know this swap took a special/different crank pulley -- what is the difference?
Old 09-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Cole Neadow
Racer

Default Re: 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there? (shawn_cake)

I put a 454 in my 80 convertible, it went in very well, you will have to purchase the pulleys and brackets, water pump and PS pump. I also had my rad recored to a four core, I had no heat problems. My hood shut with no problems, I even used the breather from my original L48. I bought all my pulleys, and brackets from Paragon, the pumps I bought from a local parts store, I tried to find all these parts used but it was not possible. The only brackets I had to make was for the AC so the short compressor would fit and even that went pretty good. I did not do any thing to my suspension and my car lowered less than 1/4 inch with the 454 ( I was informed an AC car has heavy enough springs??) and did handle better than before. This swap cost a fair amount and takes a bit of time but I think it was well worth it. as was mentioned the worst hit is the triple groove water pump pulley. ( I was at a car show on the weekend and seen a chevy pickup with a factory big block and the pulley looked the same, maybe one could be found cheaper for that application ??)I had to buy everthing with Canadian money which made it worst.
Good Luck
Cole

Get notified of new replies

To 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there?

Quick Reply: 454 into a '80 Corvette- any info. out there?