C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"WANTED" herb adams stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:20 PM
bnytro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "WANTED" herb adams stuff

looking for bushing and the book used perferd, would like his sway bars too, but really want a copy of his book :steering:
Old 09-04-2003, 10:13 PM
78whtshark
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: "WANTED" herb adams stuff (bnytro)

I have some herb adams stuff. Heavy duty sway bars and solid 'A" bushings (never used). No books though.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:24 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Herb used stabars of very large diameter with short lever arms. These are not directly comparable to GM or VB or Addco bars. In other words a 1" VB bar does not equal a 1" HA bar since the lever arms are not of equal length.

If you are mixing suppliers, be careful........
Old 09-05-2003, 05:59 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: "WANTED" herb adams stuff (78whtshark)

I have the book, but I'm not parting with it!
is it no longer available?
Old 09-06-2003, 06:12 AM
bnytro
Advanced

Default Re: "WANTED" herb adams stuff (427V8)

front arm bushings how much you want for them? best bet for that book is see if kinkos will reprint it and them offer copies on this sight, i know i'd buy a copy just for the information thats in it :steering:
Old 09-06-2003, 07:59 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

OK...ill be the idiot here and show my ignorance...
who or what the heck is herb adams ???
Old 09-06-2003, 08:40 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: "WANTED" herb adams stuff (SIGNGUY)

Aftermarket supplier of HD suspension parts. Also wrote a book on "how to make your car handle".
Old 09-06-2003, 10:40 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Default Re: "WANTED" herb adams stuff (427V8)

I have the book, but I'm not parting with it!
is it no longer available?
Not easily available. Would you mind scanning the book and getting the scans posted on corvettefaq?
Old 09-06-2003, 09:42 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

First, there is still a website for his company and a phone number listed. Two I don't have a new Moroso catalog but in fairly recent editions his Camaro and Corvette product lines are there available. You might call Moroso. Also his book is ok but vague info, it doesn't get down and dirty into his spring rates or shock valving etc.. If I remember correctly he belongs to the camp of softer springs just enough not to bottom out on a race track supplemented by heavier sway bars but his theory on sway bar arm theory is the best printed.

I have just started a list of the two camps and I am going off of memory here but:
Camp 1
Heavy Springs, lighter sway bars include Guldstrand, Delorenzo, Greenwood (heavy springs and heavy bars),

Camp 2
Lighter Springs, heavier sway bars include Rancho, Vette Brakes, Herb Adams,

I plan on researching Currin, Porterfield, etc..

Jump in on the two camps. As for the owner of the thread, I feel I gave you the best info to help you so I hope you aren't offended on my hijacking it on a related topic. It sounds like you are wanting to read about suspensions and handling and the Corvette world is kinda split. For instance Delorenzo ran about a 1500lb rear spring. I have found the best handling using two stacked 5 leaf bottom springs with a 6 of the 7 leafs stacked.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:36 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: "WANTED" herb adams stuff (TCracingCA)

Here's his web site.
http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...1008/index.htm

I'll scan the book if it's no longer available, and only if.

[edit] Opps Looks like the web site is defunct....

[Modified by 427V8, 9:39 PM 9/6/2003]
Old 09-07-2003, 08:35 AM
78whtshark
Instructor

I still have 8 stainless steel soilid bushings from Herb Adams that are available. if interested, Instant message me (IM) or email me at rhmckosky@aol.com.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:16 PM
bnytro
Advanced

I called the # for herb adams a dozen times nothing, looked at the Moroso Cat on line. nothing not one word about herb adams, corvette, or even sway bars but they some Smokey Yunick tools :banghead:
Old 09-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there's about 5 of those books on ebay currently
Old 09-07-2003, 07:29 PM
bnytro
Advanced

Default Re: "WANTED" herb adams stuff (Twin_Turbo)

not the book "how to make your car handle". he had a book/Catalog it was for the corvette, camaro, firebird only it contained parts, alignment specs, and mods for these cars only
Old 09-07-2003, 07:42 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

TC & ALL!!
I am sure there are more than "two camps" of thought, actually EVERY driver likes something a little different. I thought Herb Adams was a GM engineer (probably retired by now) who specialized in the "F" body (Camaro & firebird) and only sold Corvette stuff because there "was" a market for it (past tense). As for Moroso, last week a set of Adams rear t-arm spherical bushings were on ebay, I wanted to know what they were worth as they were almost identical to the Global West stuff on my racer (I am "into" spare parts) Moroso told me their line of "Herb Adams stuff" was all discontinued. I find it interesting that the stuff GM came up with in the late 60`s and early 70`s (that worked so well on all those race cars we all drool over, AND STILL DOES ON MY CAR) is not more popular than it is. Consider this!! GM engineers came up with most of the hi-perf suspension stuff sold today (spreader bar, bump steer kit, 5-link, J-56 brake parts, etc.) BUT people like VBP sell different size sway bars, want to know why?? BECAUSE thats all they can buy NO ONE makes an "aftermarket" 9/16 rear sway bar thats "Corvette specific" the market is too small, so "they" tell you to buy the 7/8 (generic kit) and when it doesn`t work "oh well". LOOK IT`S JUST MY OPINION AND WHAT DO I KNOW!! BUT if it was me I would be listening to someone who has more experience than ALL OF US!! Dick Guldstrand.
...redvetracr
Old 09-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OH,,, didn't know that he had a book on vettes. I'd like to read it too so if someone can scan it or mail me copies (I'll pay the postage)

MArck
Old 09-08-2003, 12:26 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Re: "WANTED" herb adams stuff (redvetracr)

I have always felt that GM did all of the engineering on the neat stuff also for the Corvette like the J-56, the strut bracket change in 1968, spring rates F41 suspension. I don't remember who had a shop first Guldstrand or Greenwood but Greenwood was an innovator. He fabricated and his cars were the ultimate development of the 63-82 chassis with some taking it up from were he left off like Porterfield (guys running tube chassis in the IMSA and Trans Am). Greenwood went with the body kit market in about 1983, played with Turbo's and basically stopped engineering suspension changes when the 1984 Vettes came out. I don't recall him getting into the 1984 and up designs. IMSA and TransAm kinda went professional and the amateur, hobbyist, enthusiast or the individual garage operation using 63-82 chassis really had no real chance of staying up with factory backed racing efforts. Going back to Greenwood, I tend to think that most of the people took his stuff. I respect Guldstrand but his shop has always farmed out pretty much everything they offer having almost all of the machine work and production done elsewhere or someone has brought in a product for them to marketing and sell. I think Guldstrand has been a wizard at taking and combining parts for great setups. As to whether he actually physically engineered the parts in his catalog, I would guess not. I think he has always found that talented individual and backed an idea. The earliest years of his shop, he just sold the GM heavy duty stuff and slowly picked up the specialty product line starting in the early 70's. I think with the GS80 (remember who TRACO was ex-Can AM engines who did his engines) and the GS90 Guldstrand car and lately the 50th anniversary ride (remember who KATECH is former GM Corvette GTP who is doing his engine) is when he has physically got more into the actual engineering. He started at DANA in the service bay. Worked with the Penske cars so I think he got his ideas from Penske maybe? Who worked with GM maybe? Zora Duntov (bump steer engineer?, F41 engineer?) Think about it. Guldstrands first real start was with the James Garner team who had the money and that was what I think actually financed his way to having his own shop.

As for parts: Guldstrand still markets all of the classic pieces. Nothing new to speak of for the 63-82 cars since the mid 70's. Global West has created alot of stuff. Doug Norrdin is an engineer and took existing pieces and in the 80's refined or reengineered. His shop niche is the Muscle car market so his focus is on that and has told me that it isn't worth the time or expense to develop new Corvette parts because the market just isn't there. I asked for tubular upper a-arms. A heat sink shielding for the Del-um bushing so they don't melt because of large headers(please don't jump to quick conclusions because I have a second set of a-arms with the concentrically drilled castor improving solid bushings for when I race and the del-um stuff is when I am using the car in street trim). Some of his pieces are very similiar to the Herb Adams stuff and they still sell it all the last time I checked. I think this is the last hurrah for these types of parts because I can't see Global West continuing to produce for the older Corvette and Guldstrand has been sick. Get it now. I agree about Vette Brakes, they don't know anything, and if you don't believe me,then ask there Counter people technical questions like I have done. My family has had modified Corvettes since 1958 (45 years experience). It sounds like Redvetracer has been around them quite a while also. There are alot of guys and my opinion is who says a normal guy with that much contact who innovates things here and there is any less an engineer than a 25 year old Guldstrand or 25 year old Jim Hall. OOPS I retract that because I think Jim Hall was god! Back to Vette Brakes, They market and sell stuff and you can make it all work respectfully and have a good riding car. My car has pieces from everyone of them (Guldstrand, Greenwood, Vette Brakes, Global West, Herb Adams, Speedway engineering, even Rancho- I like the rear sway bar brackets on the trailing arms and I have fabricated so many unique pieces myself. My long winded opinion for what it's worth and observation on Guldstrand and Vette Brakes, Global West, etc.. for what it's worth.

[Modified by TCracingCA, 12:31 AM 9/8/2003]

[Modified by TCracingCA, 12:35 AM 9/8/2003]

[Modified by TCracingCA, 12:38 AM 9/8/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To "WANTED" herb adams stuff

Old 09-08-2003, 12:53 AM
bnytro
Advanced

herb was strickly a suspension guy, he did a lot off stuff for GM after his retirement, after he did alot with the C2,3 and early C-4 and F body 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation i was at a test when he diled in a firebird and willow springs race way stree race form car, his stuff is "Race Only", my 79 was set up by him, it road nice and handled great and putted 1.01g left and 1.05 right it was a great everything car exect on grease and oil day when i had 36 greasing fittings to do, i dont want a pure road race car, but a road race, street slom, daily driver, skid pad, one easily tuneable in unless that 15 minues :steering:
Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

not the book "how to make your car handle". he had a book/Catalog it was for the corvette, camaro, firebird only it contained parts, alignment specs, and mods for these cars only
I have a loose leaf book with a green cover by him....I dont have a scanner but it covers camaro (1-3rd gens) corvettes (3rd & 4th gen) mustang, t-bird, fiero, a kit car of his make, and cobra replicas of his make.

I can see if i can scan this - its about 30-35 pages (dbl sided) if I cant scan it, I am sure i can make copies.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:37 PM
bnytro
Advanced

Default Re: "WANTED" herb adams stuff (fauxrs)

thats his last book, how much for a kinkos copy any shipping

Quick Reply: "WANTED" herb adams stuff