C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car

http://www.synlube.com/motoroil.htm

This has to be true, I read it on the Intarweb.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (Steve Straus)

"I have a news for you: EARTH IS FLAT!"

OK then. :lolg:
Old 09-04-2003, 12:45 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (Steve Straus)

Is is just a coincidence that they are located in Las Vegas?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I will keep changing MOTOR OIL frequently as I am believe the EARTH IS FLAT.

I also clean AIR FILTER every 3000 miles. CAR COMPANIES WILL LOVE ME!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (Pacin'California)

And the survey says..........
:bs

[Modified by Sting Raycin, 2:32 PM 9/4/2003]
Old 09-04-2003, 01:13 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I work with a guy who is testing that theory. He never services his car. :lol: :lol:

In theory if you could filter out all the dirt and contaminates you could get away with just adding. Problem is that eventually all the original oil components would become dirt and contaminates so you are really changing the oil. This kind of :bs reminds me of the way fishing equipment is sold!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:20 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

I knew a guy once that had that same philosophy. He said he only needed to add oil (not change), because the engine was built in Japan and was better than the engines built in America. Well, one day at around 60,000 miles his little Japanese engine quit running......but it's a fact......he never once needed to change his oil. :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Mark

[Modified by 81vette, 12:35 PM 9/4/2003]
Old 09-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (81vette)

i guy i know Herb, pulls up in a new Mercedes.
i ask WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FORD?
Herb: engine blew.
me: Did any warning lamps come on?
Herb: OIL LIGHT
me: did you check the oil.
Herb: I HAVE NEVER CHECKED OR ADDED OIL IN ANY CAR IN MY WHOLE LIFE.(Herb is 82)
me: you are going to check the Mercedes.?
Herb: No. FORDS ARE JUNK. THIS CAR WONT USE ANY OIL.
ME :confused:
Old 09-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (Matt Gruber)

From my understanding it's not the dirt that causes the problem with oil, but rather a braekdown of the components that give the oil its lubricating qualities. No lubrication = new engine.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:24 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (Robert N)

Some people are funny when it comes to changing oil they will spend thousands on a car but refuse to chang the oil. Why is that? :crazy: .
Old 09-04-2003, 02:29 PM
logans73
Cruising

I suppose it is true that the oil can just be filtered to cure the "dirty" part. What isn't addressed is the additive package that breaks down. Basicly the friction modifiers in multi-viscosity oils are the limiting factor (I was told my Mobil One engineers they are "spring-like" and break after a certain period). Eventually, your 5w-30 becomes 5w. I suppose a single weight can be used for longer periods. Not that I would risk a couple thousand by saving a few bucks.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (78 Vette)

Some people are funny when it comes to changing oil they will spend thousands on a car but refuse to chang the oil. Why is that? :crazy: .
they need a good excuse to buy a new car.
cars can last forever if they are taken care of.
my newest car is my 72.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I would never do it, but my electrician did not change the oil in his service van for over 150,000 miles. Used Amsoil (no, I am not a salesman, nor do I care to use it) and one of those double filtering setup. His usage was alot of short, stop and go driving as you can imagine. Van caught on fire from a leaking fuel line. Interesting.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (Larry82)

I would never do it, but my electrician did not change the oil in his service van for over 150,000 miles. Used Amsoil (no, I am not a salesman, nor do I care to use it) and one of those double filtering setup. His usage was alot of short, stop and go driving as you can imagine. Van caught on fire from a leaking fuel line. Interesting.
And you let him do electrical work for you? :eek:
Old 09-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Boofers
Drifting

:lolg: I don't think the person who wrote that page was a chemistry major...

Check out the conclusion - "Our oil is dirty from the start ... only because our oil is so much better, we can afford to be very DIRTY!"
So they are selling old used motor oil? :confused: :lolg:

I think I just lost an IQ point from reading that page.

[Modified by Boofers, 2:38 PM 9/4/2003]
Old 09-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (Boofers)

:lolg: I don't think the person who wrote that page was a chemistry major...

Check out the conclusion - "Our oil is dirty from the start ... only because our oil is so much better, we can afford to be very DIRTY!"

So they are selling old used motor oil? :confused: :lolg:
:iagree: I really like the scientific test of putting oil in a flask on the burner for 2 hours. WTF :confused: Any oil would sludge under conditions like that.......Oh and they say they didn't agitate it, like that would make it less likely to burn. Geez, its the same reason you stir food when you are cooking it. Something sits on the bottom too long it will burn.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:04 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (Robert N)

From my understanding it's not the dirt that causes the problem with oil, but rather a braekdown of the components that give the oil its lubricating qualities. No lubrication = new engine.
Seems that if you read this site, they draw the same conclusion, though they do not just come out and say it... They said that they heated some Exxon oil to something like 300 degrees for two hours and noted that it lost most of its lubricating qualities... They just seem to think that people change their oil because it's dirty... Maybe true, but myself, I change the oil because it breaks down and because intake air isn't the only source of "dirt"... Ever hear of oxidation? Doh! I think they're a bit nuts to suggest that you don't need to ever change your oil... I saw one website were a group was testing a few different synthetics in real engines and sending off an oil sample every 1000 miles for analysis. Cannot remember the site, but it may be interesting to dig up again as they weren't finished yet when I last read it a year or so back...

Get notified of new replies

To Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car

Old 09-04-2003, 04:51 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Sounds like snake oil to me. What a bunch of BS :lolg: :lolg:
Old 09-04-2003, 04:57 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car (dath)

I've worked in the petroleum industry almost 28 years now and had the opportunity one time assit our labs in collecting oil analysis information of our particular brand and others. What I learned was that, over time, oil changes it's lubricating characteristics due to two primary reasons. First, heat is probably oil's worst enemy. When oil is heated beyond a certain range, it's chemical composition changes. The change in chemical composition alters it's original, designed lubricating characteristics. Second, again over time, oil becomes contaminated with a host of other stuff such as water, antifreeze, and metals particles such as copper, steel, chrome, etc.

Bottom line is to change oil AND FILTER on a regularliy scheduled basis. For me, since up to this point I've been a 5W-30W man, that means about every 3K miles. However, just yesterday I decided to try some of that syn Mobil 1 20W-50W you'all have been discussing. I'm going to keep an eye on my oil pressure guage and see if I might try going a little further between changes. :cheers:
Old 09-04-2003, 05:05 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If Oil was 100% oil only, they would be right, but it isn't. As others have already said, there are numerous additional chemicals in the oil that allow it to do the tough job it does. Those chemicals do breakdown or are consumed and need to be replaced. Offshore marine engines do have very large oil reservoirs with a wonderful filtration system that greatly extends the life of the oil. But doesn't it make sense that 5 or 10 gallons of oil would remain up to spec longer than using only 1.5 gallons. The 1.5 gallons is doing 3-6 times more work. We don't have the luxury of the extra space needed to duplicate such a system.

Chuck

Quick Reply: Turns out, you never need to change the oil in your car