C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaking of swingarms

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:49 AM
RLaFarge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Speaking of swingarms

I know my swingarms, bushing and wheel bearings are old. I am not hearing any strange noises from the rear end, but I would to be pre-emptive just incase. What do I need ot look for and how do I check the rear-end for wear/slack/whatever else can happen.
I replaced the rear leaf spring last summer so I know that is in good shape.
:confused:
Old 09-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Speaking of swingarms (RLaFarge)

jack the rear up. put your hands on 12 & 6 O'clock. push on 12 than on 6. if you have movement you may need to have your t-arms rebuilt. there should be very little to no play at all. do the same at 3 & 9 O'clock also. have some one do that while you get under the car and look at your side yokes for in and out movement. No more than an 1/8" on those.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:48 AM
RLaFarge
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Speaking of swingarms (Van Steel)

Thank you so much for explaining that to me. If they are worn out, can I pull them and send the whole thing to you guys to be rebuilt?
Old 09-04-2003, 12:03 PM
MYBLU71
Racer

jack the rear up. put your hands on 12 & 6 O'clock. push on 12 than on 6. if you have movement you may need to have your t-arms rebuilt. there should be very little to no play at all. do the same at 3 & 9 O'clock also. have some one do that while you get under the car and look at your side yokes for in and out movement. No more than an 1/8" on those.
Keep in mind that if you have movement at the 12 & 6 positions, you also may have a problem with the yokes in the rearend.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Just for reference, they're trailing arms and not swing arms.

Swing arm is a kind of suspension design that has no means of controlling tire camber through suspension travel. (Swing axle, actually...)

-Steve
Old 09-04-2003, 02:16 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my old rubber bushings with poly,and theres some play in the trailing arm if i do the "12 `n 6" test.How much play is acceptable,measuring at the tip of the tire? :confused: :cheers: :cheers:
I`ve got a little movement from the yokes,but that should be the normal play..
Old 09-04-2003, 02:33 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: Speaking of swingarms (BB wowbagger)

I agree with MYBLU71 There can be lots of worn parts that can cause bad aliment
Old 09-04-2003, 05:43 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Speaking of swingarms (BB wowbagger)

I just replaced my old rubber bushings with poly,and theres some play in the trailing arm if i do the "12 `n 6" test.How much play is acceptable,measuring at the tip of the tire? :confused: :cheers: :cheers:
I`ve got a little movement from the yokes,but that should be the normal play..
Same here, years ago when I rebuilt the T arms I noticed the bolt diameter was a lot smaller than the inside diameter of the new poly bushing. At the time I never gave it much thought but a few times I've given it the 12 and 6 test and the play is buggin me now. Anybody else have this bolt vs. bushing size discrepancy?

Mike :cheers:
Old 09-05-2003, 11:34 AM
RLaFarge
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Speaking of swingarms (Pacin'California)

LOL.. I am so embarrased. I knew the proper term for them, just had a brain fade. I guess working on computers causes that after a while! :leaving:
Old 09-05-2003, 11:37 AM
RLaFarge
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor

Is it real hard to rebuild the T-arms? I want to as much on the myself as I can. It saves $$$ that I can spend on other things for it, plus it give me some knowledge. I saw a tool that pushed out the spindles for about $200 buck.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:04 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

You can rebuild them as long as you understand the procedure(which isn't hard) You'll be better off investing in a 20 ton press if you don't have one instead of those spindle presses. You will need a setup tool or old spindle you can polish undersize, a 3/4-20 nut or spindle knocker to protect the threads,a good dial indicator, you'll have to make a setup fixture to hold the bearing housing completely still,and basic hand tools. Do a search to find more about this job. Let me know if you need any help.
Gary
Old 09-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

As a fellow computer geek, I'd have to recommend you send them out to Van Steel. These guys are top notch and their bearings are more solid than what came out of the factory. :)

-Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Speaking of swingarms

Quick Reply: Speaking of swingarms