C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

milling intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:45 PM
ITSovr4U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milling intake

How much can be taken off the heads without milling the intake. Please help!!!!!! Thanks, john :seeya
Old 09-04-2003, 03:25 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: milling intake (ITSovr4U)

John, I wish I could remember where I saw that listed. There was an amount that would be taken off the intake depending on how much was milled from the head. A formula, if you will.

One thought would be to e-mail the Edelbrock tech guys. They may be able to give you some help.

Sorry not more help. But, that info is out there somewhere.

Regards, Mark
Old 09-04-2003, 07:58 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

you can go up to .030 but you will need to elongate the bolt holes in the intake
Old 09-05-2003, 12:22 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

If the heads are done correctly, there is NO need to mill the intake!! Many folks do it this way, which is WAY too much trouble.

What needs to happen is after the heads are milled to whatever you want. doesn't matter, straight milled, angle milled..whatever...you need to have them machine the INTAKE face of the head. It's very common at better machine shops. If they don't know what you're talking about, find a new shop..you don't want them doing the other either.

If you mill the intake face of the heads, then you have a set of heads that will allow ANY intake to bolt on them. Later you can change intakes or sell the heads knowing anything will fit.

If you mill intake to match, you have "married" that intake to those heads and neither will ever fit anything else.

Ask you machinist. My last heads were angle milled from 122 cc to 108 and stock intake fit with no issues. My current ones have been milled from 129cc to 112 and a stock intake fits. But in both cases, the intake face of head was cut too. It's just the right way to do it.

JIM
Old 09-05-2003, 12:52 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: milling intake (427Hotrod)

you have to cut the intake side of a head if you "angle mill" the head to bring back the correct angle between the head surface and the intake surface. you also must respotface the top of the head bolt seat on the head to get the bolt to seat flat on the head. if you mill the intake side of any head you bring the bottom of the intake closer to the top of the block and this could cause a fitment problem if you do not mill the bottom of the intake. :chevy

[Modified by clem zahrobsky, 12:54 PM 9/5/2003]

[Modified by clem zahrobsky, 12:55 PM 9/5/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To milling intake

Quick Reply: milling intake