C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got new Mcleod Twin Disc!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:25 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,900 Likes on 927 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Got new Mcleod Twin Disc!

I've been doing a little sorting of the new 825 hp combo since I got it running. One of the things that surfaced was that the old Centerforce that has served me so well has finally reached its' HP limit. They say it's good to about 700 hp and it was, but not 800!

During shakedown runs I found that if I flatfooted it in second/third gear it would try to slip. If I rolled into it it was fine and as RPM climbed the centrifugal assist seemed to hold well, but it just wasn't enough at lower rpm.

So after talking to lots of folks I decided to use a Mcleod Street Twin. Mark (ML67) and Steve ( 542C2) use them and have had great luck behind their 540's. They both told me I was bound to need one sooner or later, and they were right. Since Steve has put 1192 RWHP through his with no slippage and Mark has like 10 years on his, I figure I'll be OK.

I had them custom build me one with 1600# of static pressure instead of the 1400# stock setup as a little insurance. They swear it's good for 1000 hp plus and Steve's was holding it with only the 1400#'s. I think he just kicked his up to around 1800# in anticipation of that ungodly 632 Big Chief he's building. I figure I'll be safe splitting the difference.

I seriously considered using a sintered iron race deal with a slipper type pressure plate to help get it out of the hole. I've used race clutches before on the street before with good results. I know lotsof folks run the sintered ones and the deciding factor seems to be how much race...and how much street? They work great for a "Saturday Night Special" where you drive it up town and hang out, or even just get on the road and drive. The problem area is the inevitable (for me living in Houston) traffic jam. In that situation they are so aggressive and heat up so much they essentially will "turn" your flywheel by the time you get out of traffic in stop and go stuff.

So I decided to stay with my original theme for the car, and use the Street Twin. I want it to be reliable and bulletproof and still very easy to drive on the street. I have had the "red light"bandits and thinly disguised race cars with license plates..this one is different.

I got the clutch/flywheel assy in yesterday and I can tell you it's a work of art. The quality is fantastic and the folks at Mcleod were great to deal with. If it turns out to drive as well and hold HP as well as I plan, I'll be a happy camper!

Plus...it gets me a step closer to making some real runs!

JIM

PS- While driving it a few days ago, a shift arm broke internally in the Doug Nash for 3/4th gears. I drove home using 1/2 and 5th. Sounds like a bad deal, but at least it broke BEFORE I was about to pull clutch anyway. I sure would have been upset if it broke the day AFTER and I had to pull it again! Also luckily, Richmond parts interchange and the new replacement arms are made much better than the OEM ones. Trans is all re-assembled (put in new synchros for the heck of it) and ready to reinstall.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Got new Mcleod Twin Disc! (427Hotrod)

Geez Jim, you move fast! That sounds like quite a clutch. Did you go with an aluminum flywheel?
Old 09-03-2003, 09:54 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

What kind of brakes do you have on your "Street Machine"? With that kind of power and the weight of that humongus motor it must be a real bear to fight in traffic. Speaking of weight, you must have forearms like Popeye steering that beast around, I don't suppose you have power steering.
I'm simply amazed at the power of pure American muscle you have in your car, do you ever participate in any of the cruise in events around Houston? I'd love to hear it run.
Great car!
Old 09-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

427Hotrod,

I bought mine last year but am only now installing it. You are right about it looking like a piece of engineering art work. 'Tis a shame to cover it up. Do they make see through scatter shields? Sounds like the subject for a new post! :yesnod:

Anyway, I am very interested to hear your thoughts on driving it. Mine is the standard street setup with the 153 tooth aluminum flywheel. With the new power steering, the dual disc, and the roller cam my car should be Grandma Friendly in the driving department. Only thing left to do is put a thick pillow on the seat to help her see over the hood and reinstall the luggage rack to stowe the walker. At least my wife and daughter should be able to drive it soon. For them the manual steering is a tad heavy with the wide tires. However, they had even greater difficulty telling the difference between the brake and the clutch in regards to feel. They thought it must have two brake pedals, surely you can't push this all the way to the floor, can you? My using terms like Woosses in describing them did not go over very well. On a positive note, my wife loves the sound of the L88 bellowing through the side pipes!

I've had more than a few tell me that the McLeod setups are a real pain. Sure makes me feel good to hear this. I was glad to hear of others on the forum using them with good success.

Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 8:14 PM 9/3/2003]
Old 09-04-2003, 12:43 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,900 Likes on 927 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Got new Mcleod Twin Disc! (Smokehouse69)

No power steering and I even have it set in the "fast" ratio holes. I found that it was much easier to control during ...ahem......"acceleration maneuvers" with the faster ratio. Took too much steering wheel movement before, plus I have a smaller diameter wheel also. But my wife can drive it with no big deal. She loves to be the one to drive it into the cruise ins!

Brakes are stock Vette. I haven't seen a reason to change them. They work fine...10 times better than any other 60's-80's car out there. Much better than some of my past 9 second projects.

As far as handling goes...and weight...it is fine. Just like any other big block Vette. I'm using a heavier Merlin block, but the aluminum heads easily offset it from the weight of the previous 427. I've moved the battery to the storage compartment and there is no unnecessary stuff to add extra weight. I really do need to go weigh it just to see what it really is now with the new Dana 60 IRS setup. I'm sure that added a few pounds, but at least they are on the rear, not the front.

I picked a steel flywheel at the recomendation of several folks including Mcleod's Tech guy. First, the weight difference is very minimal between the two since the flywheel is so thin anyway on the Street Twin. Second, it's all going to be lighter than what I have in there now, and third I was a little nervous when Steve B. (542C2) had his aluminum one crack. Now he makes LOTS more power than me, but you never know what the future holds and Mcleod had him go to a steel one too.

I've been hitting several of the Cruises around Houston since I got it going again. Been to 518 and I-45 in League City a few times (200+ mile round trip from my house!), Beltway 8/I-45 S. at the Fox and Hound and to the one in The Woodlands a few times. I'm sure I'll be at one of them this Saturday night if I can get it all installed by then. I work in Victoria sometimes...love to see your car!

I've got the car driving and acting the way I want it to. The next stage is going to be to get some real track numbers as soon as I can!

The point of all this is that if you build it big, it doesn't have to be radical or complicated. I still have to decide if I'm just going to install a new set of points or finally step up to at least a conversion kit in my distributor! :lol:

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To Got new Mcleod Twin Disc!

Quick Reply: Got new Mcleod Twin Disc!