C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Why I Don't Street Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Master Ho
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Why I Don't Street Race

Back in high school, I drove a '70 1/2 Z28, white with black interior, no a/c or radio, LT1, turbo 400 w/shift kit, 3:73 posi, yadayadayada...

One summer night, some guys in a '72 Cutlass pulled alongside me on the highway and wanted to race. I had 3 people in my Z, but I thought, "Why not?" just before slamming the shifter down to 2nd and pulling away.

I watched as the Cutlass's headlights faded in my side mirror, but then they suddenly shot straight up in the air. I saw the car slam upside down on the highway, crushing the top and sending a shower of sparks everywhere. Other drivers were swerving left and right to avoid the now-flattened Cutlass as it slid to the shoulder of the road. The driver sideswiped the Jersey barrier and it deflected the Cutlass back onto the road, as designed, but the driver lost control.

As I pulled over to check on the Cutlass, I told my friend to get ready to see the worst, and that it was okay if he and the girls(wouldn't be a story w/o girls!) stayed in the car. He said he was up for it, but the girls stayed put, and we ran back to the Cutlass. We were the first to reach the car, and I could see someone moving inside.

I helped the driver and passenger crawl out of a window, as gasoline was running down the pavement. The driver said, "Wow, man, I need a smoke..." and started to light a cigarette. I yanked the lighter from his hand, threw it in the ditch, and pointed to the gasoline at his feet. Unfortunately, he and his friend were so stoned and drunk that they didn't realize what was going on.

My friend and I pulled several bottles of whiskey, a bong, a big bag of dope, and two 12-packs from the wreckage and tossed it all into the field, just as the fire trucks and police arrived. After sneaking away from the scene, we drove to my friend's house and as I turned off the engine, my hands were shaking almost uncontrollably. All I could think of was, "That could've been us!"

I learned my lesson that night night. :blueangel:
Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM
442olds
Pro

Default Re: OT: Why I Don't Street Race (Master Ho)

I've seen a few accidents like the one you described and witnessed a few mustangs that had so much power that when they shifted the car would change lanes, its just a good thing it didn't shift lanes into the lane I was in. Some people shoudln't be allowed to drive cars with that much power.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:58 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: OT: Why I Don't Street Race (442olds)

As confident you are of your own abilities and the safety of your car, even of the road, the other person is always an unknown.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:01 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: OT: Why I Don't Street Race (Master Ho)

Master Ho, you claim to be 62 years old in your profile. . . :confused: . . . I don't mean to nit pick but WOW, you must have been around 30 years old when you graduated highschool! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Old 09-03-2003, 07:24 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: OT: Why I Don't Street Race (MIKER)

Master Ho, you claim to be 62 years old in your profile. . . :confused: . . . I don't mean to nit pick but WOW, you must have been around 30 years old when you graduated highschool! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:lol:

Did you go back and get the free drugs :confused: :lolg:
Old 09-03-2003, 07:59 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: OT: Why I Don't Street Race (QuickVet)

Any idea how it shot straight into the air?????? That part just confuses me.. I have never had a chance to whitness anything like tha, however one night my friend went to the street races while I stayed home.. "I needed to wax the vett" anyways, he came back shortly after shaking like you said, he whitnessed a camero with a girl driving lose control go through a fence and flip into a field, he got out to run her, she was pinched between the seat and the roofline, but was still alive and screaming for help, he ran back to the street and got a truck to pull over, just then a Cutless or something like that, "newer one" lost control too and slid right into the camero. She died on that hit. Never seeing anything like that is one thing, but hearing the story damm near made me wanna puke.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Dude you are a mathmagician. :D

[Modified by Fevre, 8:07 PM 9/3/2003]
Old 09-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Master Ho
Racer

Hey Mikey BITE ME! :D
Don't blow my undercoverbrother profile...
Old 09-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Master Ho
Racer

Default Re: OT: Why I Don't Street Race (WashingtonRacer)

WR,

Concrete Jersey barriers are designed to deflect the striking vehicle back into its lane of travel. They look like an 'I' beam with a wider base and weigh about 10,000 lbs each. Depending on the speed/height/front end configuration of the striking vehicle, the vehicle may be forced upward as well as back into its lane. Still much better than Armco, though - I'm sure Greg McQuide would agree, if he were still among us :sad:
Old 09-03-2003, 08:52 PM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Did they have cars back then?? :D
Old 09-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Default Re: OT: Why I Don't Street Race (QuickVet)

:lol:

Did you go back and get the free drugs :confused: :lolg:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 09-04-2003, 02:50 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: OT: Why I Don't Street Race (Bob Turner)

I wasn't going to reply, so I wouldn't incrimanate myself. But dang, those are some bad stories.
BTW, I don't street race anymore. I kept spilling my beer. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To OT: Why I Don't Street Race

Quick Reply: OT: Why I Don't Street Race