C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 03:53 PM
guitar308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter fire

hi i have an 81 corvette, the starter and the wires that run the starter caught fire and the starter,i purchased the new starter but i dont know where to get the wires, could someone please help me, thank you.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: starter fire (guitar308)

common problem, either the white conenctor plug or the wires (fusible link) will burn out when there's a short (the connectors like the melt from heat even when everything is working fine.. it's just a big weak point)

Anyway, I don't think you can get the wire harness anymore. The ends of the wires are probably burnt, they'll feel soft. those are the fusible links. There's white plastics cylidners crimped around the wires, those have an amperage rating marked on them. I replaced mine with normal wires and fuse holders and just put the correct amperage fuses in the holders, no more fusible link that can strand you down the road.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:45 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: starter fire (Twin_Turbo)

Good idea Marck, I was thinking of stocking up on the fusable links, but I like your idea better.....Thanks :cheers:
Old 09-04-2003, 03:43 PM
guitar308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, but no one has any wire that i can use to replace the burnt ones. so what am i to do
Old 09-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: starter fire (guitar308)

what do you mean no one has wires? Just het some wires w/ the correct gauge, some cripers and some of those metal crimp on thingies for conencting wires and those eyes at the end (what are those things called?) and the fuse holders. Can't be that hard. If they have the stuff here in the Netherlands you US guys must be able to find it

Check out AMP wiring stuff.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:08 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you mean no one has wires? Just het some wires w/ the correct gauge, some cripers and some of those metal crimp on thingies for conencting wires and those eyes at the end (what are those things called?) and the fuse holders. Can't be that hard. If they have the stuff here in the Netherlands you US guys must be able to find it

Check out AMP wiring stuff.
:iagree:
I replaced the ends of a couple of the wires going to my starter as they were really crufty looking. I just cut the wire back to where it was good, soldered in a new one and put some heat shrink tubing and new ends on the wires... I put in a new piece of fusible link (basically just a smaller wire that is rated for the purpose of being able to melt)... Check out the local auto parts store, they're sure to have wire in various gauges. Get stranded wire with nice fine strands if you can find it... The more strands the merrier, the current flows over the *OUTSIDE* of the wire... If you can't find it locally, then call up Summit Racing or something, but you should have no issues finding generic wire. I like to solder it in myself, but some folks use the crimp splice in connectors...

EDIT: Oh yeah, if all else fails, check a car audio shop, they'll have all kinds of high quality wire, some of which is likely to be rated for underhood use...

[Modified by dath, 7:10 PM 9/4/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To starter fire

Quick Reply: starter fire