C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early C3 (68-71) anti-theft system questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 02:37 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Early C3 (68-72) anti-theft system questions

1) Do the door ajar switches on the rear jamb of the doors also serve as the switches that activate the alarm, or is there an additional switch to activate the alarm someplace else in the door opening? The factory assembly manual leads me to believe that there are switches on the forward jamb of each door that activate the alarm. If seperate from the door ajar switches, are these additional switches the same style/part number as the door ajar switches, and where exactly are they drilled into the forward jamb?

2) According to the factory assembly manual there appears to be a bracket rivited to the lower hump on the forward wall of the jack storage compartment. This bracket serves to mount a "relay assembly" and a "flasher assembly". Does anyone know who sells them and the part numbers of the relay and flasher? Is the flasher the same style as (or in lieu of) the flasher located on the fuse panel? Is the relay the same style that is used for another purpose (like the power window relay, etc.)? I can't find any aftermarket company that lists these two items under the anti-theft system?

3) What is the correct operation of this system (main lights/parking lights flash, rear siren/horn sounds in a continuosu beep, or by intermittent beeps)? It doesn't appear as if this system is tied in to the ignition circuit which means the car can still be started with the alarm tripped. Is this true? Also, by virtue of the aforementioned flasher, I can only assume that the alarm harness is someway connected to the lighting harness. If true, where is the connection point in the lighting harness? Also, I'm guessing that the relay activates the horn (siren) mounted behind the rear wheel, correct?

4) Is the alarm switch that monitors the hood the same as the switches that monitor the doors?

5) Does anybody have any parts for this system that they'd be willing to sell? If so, get my email address from my profile and drop me a line. I'm really interested in the mounting bracket for the hood monitoring switch, the mounting bracket located in the jack compartment, and the mounting hardware for the rear horn/siren.

[Modified by ettev, 1:53 PM 9/3/2003]
Old 09-03-2003, 03:14 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Early C3 (68-72) anti-theft system questions (ettev)

1. On my 72, the rear switches operate the "Door Ajar" light and the alarm. The forward door switches only operate the courtesy lights. The rear switches typically have a head stamp "SX" but replacement switches will work just as well, unless of course you are having it judged. Since the door jambs are predrilled, look for the 3/8" (guessing) hole in the jamb.
2. Finding spare relay and flasher assemblies that work is like finding the Holy Grail. I have never seen one - course I haven't been looking for them either. I don't think I have ever seen them reproduced.
3. When the two doors and the hood are closed and then the alarm is armed, opening any door or hood causes the alarm horn to honk, not continuosly, but in a intermittant manner. No lights are activated. This is a very crude alarm system and does nothing to the starter or any other sytem. You could drive all day with this horn going if you were deaf.
4. I THINK the switch under the hood is only a two wire switch while the ones in the rear of the door jamb are three wire. Different length of the switch shaft - but this is only from memory.
5. you will be lucky if someone passes their alarm system on to you. They are pretty scarce. Try an internet search for Corvette Salvage yards and see what they have. Get ready with the second mortgage.
Gary

Old 09-03-2003, 03:23 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Early C3 (GaryS)

I think Dr Rebuild has some of the switches.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Early C3 (68-72) anti-theft system questions (ettev)

I replaced my flasher and relay with functional replacements, since I don't intend to ever do the NCRS thing. The flasher is just a flasher and the relay is just a standard 12v relay. The real McCoy are very hard to find and cost about $60-$100.

Get notified of new replies

To Early C3 (68-71) anti-theft system questions

Quick Reply: Early C3 (68-71) anti-theft system questions