C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic car regestration in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Classic car regestration in Texas

I renewed my classic car with 1972 plates and they sent me a regular regestration sticker (like the one on my suburban) rather than the small blue stickers that I had before.

Is this correct? Anybody else have this occur?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 10:43 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Classic car regestration in Texas (Milest)

Did you do register as a classic car or antique car? They are different. The antique car registration has a tag that bolts in place with the license plate. No inspections and 5 years for about 60 bucks.

The classic car registration is just lets you use year-of-manufacture plates but you still have to have annual inspections and a window sticker. This is a "daily driver" registration, I guess.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I just registered my '71('71 plates) as a classic a little less than a month ago and they gave me the standard sticker to put on the windshield.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

There is nothing special about Classic regrestration in Texas. In fact they chage you a bit extra. For that you get to run year of manifacture plates on the car. Still have to go through the normal inspection process and meet all the standards.

But Antique is nice. Regrestration of about $53 is good for five years. No safety inspections. NO stickers on the windshield :) Just car has to be 25 years old or older. But there are use restrictions.

tom...
Old 09-03-2003, 04:00 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The standard sticker is now correct. The policy changed from two blue classic stickers for classic cars to the standard sticker the first of '03.

The antique classification that Tom is referring to only allows driving in parades and to car shows. Not sure how this would be enforced.

Hagerty offers reduced insurance for classic cars due to the expectation of reduced driving.

[Modified by flynhi, 3:02 PM 9/3/2003]
Old 09-03-2003, 05:18 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Classic car regestration in Texas (Tom73)

But Antique is nice. Regrestration of about $53 is good for five years. No safety inspections. NO stickers on the windshield :) Just car has to be 25 years old or older. But there are use restrictions.

tom...
I don't know about others, but I don't consider anything that doesn't allow me to drive my car exept for parades and to/from club events or car shows nice.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:56 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Classic car regestration in Texas (BeaterShark)

well, the antique registration isn't that strict (parades/club events). The big caveat is not to use it as daily transportation. You're not supposed to leave it unattended either. However, most officers understand it's a classic, and that it's not driven much. I believe the restriction is intended to discourage folks from registering their worn out daily drivers as antiques to avoid the inspection requirements.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:24 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Classic car regestration in Texas (Jeff 6T9)

Here is the quote from our Tx DOT:
Antique plates are issued for passenger cars, trucks, or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector's item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest and not used for regular transportation. The vehicle may not carry advertising.
They don't care if it is left unattended (but your antique insurance probably does).

So, when can you legally drive a car with antique plates? Going out to dinner is not "public interest", so I don't see that as legal with antique plates.

Sure, there are lots of laws in which an officer will "look the other way". Take the front license plate law as one example, but it doesn't make it right not to have one.

Also, I'm not sure of the fine, but if I find it to be low, I'll register my "worn out daily driver" as an antique and just deal with the fines as I get them.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Classic car regestration in Texas (BeaterShark)

The key to me is the phrase "and not used for regular transportation". The same issue as with Classic/Antique/Collector insurance.

tom...
Old 09-04-2003, 06:54 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Classic car regestration in Texas (Jeff 6T9)

well, the antique registration isn't that strict (parades/club events). The big caveat is not to use it as daily transportation. You're not supposed to leave it unattended either. However, most officers understand it's a classic, and that it's not driven much. I believe the restriction is intended to discourage folks from registering their worn out daily drivers as antiques to avoid the inspection requirements.
:iagree: I have been driving my 77 for 2 years with antiqque plates and have never been pulled over for having them. I have not been in any parades, by the way. And I have been next to, in back of, and in front of many officers of the law in that time. The key is to drive responsible, and then they will respect you and not hassle you.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:11 PM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Classic car regestration in Texas (flynhi)

Thanks for the responce.

Get notified of new replies

To Classic car regestration in Texas

Quick Reply: Classic car regestration in Texas