C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Panel VAERY DIM

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 07:50 PM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Instrument Panel VAERY DIM

My instrument panel is very dim and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I turned the **** to the brightest setting and it is still extremely dim. Is this an easy fix?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:50 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Instrument Panel VAERY DIM (ElectronBlueC3)

It could be a few things. First, it could be that some of your bulbs are burned out. I don't remember exactly how many there are but there's a bunch and if two or 3 are out it will be dim. The other thing it could be is a bad headlamp switch. The rheostat for the dash lights is part of the switch and if it corrodes or becomes more resistive with age it will not pass the current as it should. The fix in both cases is pulling the dash panel. You can check your bulbs and if they are all working you can clean or replace the headlamp switch. If that doesn't cure it you could have a bad ground going from the dash pad to ground. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:08 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

:iagree: I have my dash out and there are 12 bulbs in the back of both guages 4 in each gauge just for dash lights and the rest are t/s, high beams, brake light. My headlight switch has a very short travel between very dim and full bright and that has to be in the reostat.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:20 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

had the same problem, had my alternator tested and it was barely putting out 12 volts. It still kept the battery charged, but sometimes my headlights would flicker and my interior lights were very dim too.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:52 PM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Instrument Panel VAERY DIM (munday)

Just had my alternator tested and it was good. I'm sure the battery isn't very good but the interior lights and headlights seem to be pretty bright. Maybe it is the bulbs or something. Is it really hard to take off the dash?
Old 09-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Speaking of this, do you have to pull the dash cluster to get to the bulbs or can you reach them from the bottom side? I have some that are burned out as well...

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument Panel VAERY DIM

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel VAERY DIM