C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual or automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Larsson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or automatic transmission?

I'm still in the search for the perfect Stingray but the range of C3's for sale in sweden is not so big. Lately I've seen alot of cars for sale with manual transmission and I wonder what you think is the best choice? (Manual or automatic)

Atleast I have a lot of prejudices against american cars produced before 1980. Of course the usual one, that american cars ar best droven fast and forward, not in curves. But also som prejudices against american cars with manual transmission, most of the big american cars I've seen has automatic transmission so I can't help wondering how the quality on the manual ones are.

And isn't easier to maintain the function of a automatic gearbox than an manual?

Lot of strange english in this post, but I hope you understand, I simply wonder if it's a good buy to buy a Stingray from lets say 72-73 with a manual gearbox or if I should stay with the automatic ones?

By the way, I was at Fyndbörsgaraget (Swedish ones will know :) ) yesterday and sat down in a -75, not much was in the right place. It sounded like if the building was falling apart when you closed the right door but anyway. Wonderful feeling, first time sitting in a Stingray.

I want to be like :steering: but am more like :banghead: today. And the last weeks of summer approaches here in sweden :nonod:

Thanks for reading,
Yours, Christian Larsson
Old 09-02-2003, 03:59 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Manual or automatic transmission? (Larsson)

Manual transmission cars are much more fun to drive!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 04:05 PM
smoothsailing
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I looked they still had curves at Lemans. Covettes have done rather nicely there for the last few years. My C3 has a four speed, winding out the gears is one of the joys of sports cars.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I agree, manuals are more fun to drive. I wish I had a manual in mine. As for handling, there are quite a few guys autocrossing their C-3 Corvettes, with a fair amount of sucess.
Considering that the suspension design for the cars is 40 years old (basic suspension setup first appeared in 1963.) They handle quite good. They handle especially good if modern components are used (tires, shocks, poly-uerethane bushings, etc) and worn out parts are replaced (springs, steering gear, bushings, etc.) For a little of $1000.00 US you can replace the 50 year-old designed steering with a modern rack and pinion system.
With the proper repairs, replacements and upgrades, the C-3 will hold it's own with many modern sports cars cost many times more money.
Good luck on your search!
Old 09-02-2003, 04:27 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Muncie gearboxes which were the manual transmissions in the early C3's are very strong and fun to drive. As an added bonus, if something goes wrong parts are available and with a reasonable amount of skills you could even rebuild it yourself. Most automatics contain more parts that a Lunar Module and rebuilding one is not for an amateur.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Kevin Mason
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 55 Posts

Manual Vette transmissions are strong and reliable. Thing is, for reasons I fail to comprehend, most Americans like automatics, and the C3 Vette was designed to be a sportscar affordable to a large segment of the population.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Manual or automatic transmission? (Kevin Mason)

. Thing is, for reasons I fail to comprehend, most Americans like automatics, and the C3 Vette was designed to be a sportscar affordable to a large segment of the population.
The same goes for the C5, they churn out 50K Corvettes a year. Awesome car but they are on every corner. Heck, the Libraian at my old high school even has a '03 C5 vert. :rolleyes:
Old 09-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Well the Th-400 that came in the car during those years is very reliable and can be built to drive and shift very nice.......but it is only a 3 speed auto....But I really like the way mine drives though sometimes I miss a manual but I have other cars with that :cheers:
Old 09-02-2003, 05:25 PM
DGT76
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: Manual or automatic transmission? (GrandSportC3)

Manual transmission cars are much more fun to drive!!!
:iagree:
Old 09-02-2003, 05:28 PM
tiger
Intermediate

I prefer automatics. They just feel stronger. And sitting in traffic are much more convenient. The torque converter will give a much lower effective gear ratio when starting from a dead stop. And I hate the bucking that manual transmission cars go through. I guess manual transmissions make me think of Japan a little more than I'd like to.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:37 PM
zymurgist
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Manual or automatic transmission? (Kevin Mason)

Manual Vette transmissions are strong and reliable. Thing is, for reasons I fail to comprehend, most Americans like automatics, and the C3 Vette was designed to be a sportscar affordable to a large segment of the population.
And so the secretaries and poseurs could all own a Vette without having to learn to drive it! :D
Old 09-02-2003, 07:10 PM
1house3kids0vette
Pro

It's the reverse here. Many more automatics and fewer 4-speeds available. There is no comparison for the joy of driving. Go with the stick!
Old 09-02-2003, 08:07 PM
Kevin Mason
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 55 Posts

As far as older American cars go: *some* (not all!) handle surprisingly well. For example, the '70's vintage Pontiac Trans Am (especially if it had the WS6 package) will corner as well or better than almost any European car of its day, and can be modified to corner and brake extremely well, while still accelerating like an old Trans Am.

An old Corvette (especially if modified to take 17" alloy wheels and wide tires) might surprise you. And while the C3 brakes are troublesome, they bring you to a stop extremely quickly.

Hope all this helps. Feel free to ask any questions, and the Forum Members will answer as best they can.

[Modified by Kevin Mason, 7:08 PM 9/2/2003]
Old 09-02-2003, 08:13 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Automatics are nice but I prefer to drive a stick. Much more fun, :steering:
Old 09-02-2003, 08:22 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the best things I did to my 75 corvette was converting it from a 400 to a 700 and then the T5 and finally the Tremec 5 speed overdrive.
The fun factor went way up with the manual transmission.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual or automatic transmission?

Quick Reply: Manual or automatic transmission?