C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to start or not to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 02:41 PM
stingray0752003
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to start or not to start

my 75 stingray isnt very friendly when it comes to starting i have a new battery starter distributor alternator but some times when i try to start car its totally dead no response from the key at all. here is where it gets crazy to get it started i have to ground out the positive wire of my alternator against the side of alternator to get the thing to crank???????????? any suggestions of a way to fix would be helpful :banghead: :banghead:
Old 09-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: to start or not to start (stingray0752003)

i have to ground out the positive wire of my alternator against the side of alternator to get the thing to crank???????????? any suggestions of a way to fix would be helpful
Are you sure it is the positive wire on the "alternator" that you are grounding?? :confused: :confused:
Dead grounding the hot wire at the alternator is usually a good way to start a nice fire or melt a lot of wiring, but I don't know of any reason why it would cause your starter to crank.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: to start or not to start (stingray0752003)

Will it not crank? or just not start while cranking? If it cranks but doesn't start then tt sounds to me like you have a voltage drop going to your distibutor. If you were running a points type distributor I could understand the problem, since they were designed to start with 12V (seperate wire from the starter solenoid to the coil) and run with 6-8V under normal circumstances (to keep the points from burning up.) But with an 75 you should be running an HEI distributor and be running a full 12v to the distributor and coil.
Now if it won't even crank, then you might have something wired up wrong at the starter. There is a fuseable link in one of the power lines to the distributor, it is possible that that line has failed. The link is right near the starter on one of the power lines going to the solenoid. I have no idea of how putting power to the alternator case could cause the starter to crank (if that's what it is doing.)

Get notified of new replies

To to start or not to start

Quick Reply: to start or not to start