C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Wires and Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 11:27 AM
snakey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wires and Headers

This may be a dumb question but...

Is there a recomendation for spark plug wires and routings when headers are installed. I'm finishing a mild upgrade to my 1977 L-48 engine. With Hooker Comp headers should I purchase a "special" set of plug wires (longer?) to route a different way to the plugs (underheader?)

Thanks,
snakey
Old 09-02-2003, 12:34 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Spark Plug Wires and Headers (snakey)

I have 74 L-48 and Hooker headers (same as yours) and I am running all my wires under the headers (through the shields). I used Accel 4042 wires. I purchased through Summit for around $28. They are 8mm and suppress radio noise. I am very happy with these and radio sounds better.

I like the hidden wires better, however, if you have not changed these before, be prepared to spend good couple of hours to route the wire through the shields. There is a bolt for these shields, loosen that first then slide each wire through (one at a time).

Good luck, and Welcome to the Forum :cheers:

Edit: Pictures Please :D

[Modified by desi, 12:35 PM 9/2/2003]
Old 09-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 828 Likes on 242 Posts

Default Re: Spark Plug Wires and Headers (desi)

I am running all my wires under the headers (through the shields). I used Accel 4042 wires. I purchased through Summit for around $28. They are 8mm and suppress radio noise. I am very happy with these and radio sounds better.

I like the hidden wires better, however, if you have not changed these before, be prepared to spend good couple of hours to route the wire through the shields. There is a bolt for these shields, loosen that first then slide each wire through (one at a time).
Welcome to the forum....

What desi said ..
I have headers, Accel 8mm wires routed in the stock location under the shields. Been on there for many years. No problems.

Old 09-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Spark Plug Wires and Headers (Barry's70LT1)

I have had a miss for a few months that I could not find. Finally I noticed that the undersideof the spark plug wire boot was burned from my headers. I'm going the other route, wires over the valve covers with center bolt wire looms. I don't want burnt wires again.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Spark Plug Wires and Headers (Frankenvette)

I like a nice wire loom and run the wires over the top.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:20 PM
Obdoc
Racer

Default Re: Spark Plug Wires and Headers (Red73)

:iagree:
I like the look of the wire looms.

[Modified by Obdoc, 8:21 PM 9/2/2003]
Old 09-02-2003, 08:40 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I have had a miss for a few months that I could not find. Finally I noticed that the undersideof the spark plug wire boot was burned from my headers. I'm going the other route, wires over the valve covers with center bolt wire looms. I don't want burnt wires again.

Old 09-03-2003, 06:17 AM
Road Racer
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info on the wires Desi.
Same thing just happened to me. I had a miss when going over 60mph.
I thought it was my timing. While adjusting my timing I noticed on both sides the bottom of the boot was burned from sitting on the headers (one wire each side). I put a 2"piece of hose over the boot for now to fix problem but I'm buying the Sumitt wires and I am going to run them over the top within the next week or so.
:cheers: :cheers: :smash: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 09-03-2003, 12:44 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Spark Plug Wires and Headers (Road Racer)

I guess your clearance would depend on the combination of parts you have. For my stock heads, hooker headers and angled wire boots, there is at least one inch of clearance. I do have to use tie-wrap on a couple of wires to pull them back.

The reason I like the hidden look is because I have the points type dist. and chrome shield and wires are not visible at all... to each his own, I guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug Wires and Headers

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires and Headers