C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about painting vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 07:22 AM
jaybird81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about painting vinyl

I am replacing and repainting some of the interior parts in my 81. I have used this interior paint before on the plastic parts of the interior. That was easy just sand prime and paint. Some of the peices I am about to paint today are vinyl. Has anyone painted vinyl before. How do I prep the parts to be painted?
Old 09-02-2003, 07:45 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Questions about painting vinyl (jaybird81)

using one of the vinyl dyes might be a better choice, I've done it and just used an alchohol based cleaner to remove all of the dirt, waxes and other finishes that had been applied over the years. I have used paint on the interior to cover the metal components ie, steering column, dash face plates.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:15 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Questions about painting vinyl (gdh)

I have done several Dye jobs in the past and can offer a couple of tips. The prep is just as important as when painting, poor prep = poor results. Clean the surface to be dyed with a toothbrush and cleanser around any detailed areas and crevasses, use wax and grease remover a couple of times as most interior pieces have been armor alled at one point in their lives. Use a high quality dye, I have had good luck with SEM brand. Apply a thin "tack" coat on the entire surface before applying the cover coat and do not put on too thick or it will flake off later. Hard plastic parts do not dye as well as the vinyl so if replacements are available in the desired color I would go that route.
I used this method on a convertible 9 years ago and it still looks as good today as when it was fresh.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:22 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Questions about painting vinyl (jaybird81)

Check this corvetteFAQ out
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/TrimPaintInfo.doc

Hope it helps :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about painting vinyl

Quick Reply: Questions about painting vinyl