C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling headlight on an '80

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 01:31 AM
mnow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling headlight on an '80

Heya everyone :cheers:
For some time now I've been aware that my headlights are due for a rebuild. The right light pops up fine, and is stable. The left however pops up only a little while idling, or lags a bit when cruising. I can hear hissing from the left actuator, so a seal/boot rebuild is in order. What bothers me is once up, the left headlight rattles badly, and the noise is a distraction (and an embarassment). Is this due to the bad actuator? Or is the problem deeper in, like springs or such? I'd like to just tear it apart once, and lick both probs, but dont know exactly what the fix would be... ideas?
Old 09-02-2003, 06:35 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rattling headlight on an '80 (mnow)

You may be able to see all four springs from below, but if not, just raise the headlight and remove the bezel. That'll give you a good view of everything and you'll be able to see if a spring(s) has broken and/or fallen off.

Also, there are two pieces of metal pinned together like a "knee joint" in the center and it has a locking adjustment. The "joint" should lock in place like a hyper-extended knee. If it doesn't, the headlight can bounce around. I believe the rest of the adjustments in there affect door alignment. If your door alignment is good, I'd start with the knee joint.

There was a recent thread about removing an actuator to replace the seals. There were some good tips in there so you may want to Search the recent threads & archives for it.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

[Modified by jerryp58, 6:37 AM 9/2/2003]
Old 09-02-2003, 11:18 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Rattling headlight on an '80 (jerryp58)

Mine rattels a lot and it's because of a pair of broken plastic adjusters. Some places sell as a kit all the adjusters and springs in one set. That is what I am looking to do on mine.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:13 AM
mnow
Advanced

Default Re: Rattling headlight on an '80 (BSeery)

Thanks for the replys guys! Gives me a good place to start looking. I've seen that kit with the plastics.. seems to me ecklers was pushing it.. I'll have to give em a peek. Might as well try to replace as much as I can If I wind up tearing down the bucket.. not a job I want to do several times! :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Rattling headlight on an '80

Quick Reply: Rattling headlight on an '80