C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat belt sequencing module question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 12:09 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Seat belt sequencing module question

The wiring schematic for my 75 shows a seat belt sequencing module. This thing takes inputs from weight sensing switches in the seats and switches on the seat belt buckles to send an alert that someone is not buckled in. My seats show no evidence of ever having a weight sensing switch and I have not been able to find the module anywhere on the car. Did all the 75's have this and if not, does anyone have a schematic that shows the wiring when it is deleted? My 74 schematic also shows the module and associated wiring. :banghead: I am really close to finishing this frame off project and get hung up on little things like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:42 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Seat belt sequencing module question (Big Fish)

Check your TRJM. I believe that all 74's and early 75's had this "feature" but the law was rescinded and these items by and large have been removed and/or disconnected.

Your 75 may not have come with it - what's your VIN number?
Old 09-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Seat belt sequencing module question (mayberg)

Check your TRJM. I believe that all 74's and early 75's had this "feature" but the law was rescinded and these items by and large have been removed and/or disconnected.

Your 75 may not have come with it - what's your VIN number?
Okay, I know I will sound stupid, but what's a TRJM? My VIN number is
1Z37J5S436971
Old 09-02-2003, 07:50 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, not all '75's are equiped with the seat belt interlock system. (thank goodness!) I'm speaking of the system that disables the STARTER until you're buckled in. (prevelent in '74 & early '75's) Not just the seat belt warning system, which tells you that your belts are not connected.
This had me going for awhile when I first started working on my '75. It seems all the wiring diagrams I have include this system. You'll just have to over look it. Not only that, but I've found some grave errors in alot of wiring diagrams, Period! No matter who the publisher is!
If I remember correctly (this is jerking from my memory when I used to work on these things in the dealer) the dead give-away for this system is the over ride relay on the right side firewall in the eng compartment. It had a bright orange button boot on it. If you don't see this, and an additional relay in the rear comp't, you're clean! :hurray:
Seat belt interlock systems were bypassed all the time in their day. In those days, a seat belt just wasn't worn by most drivers, and felt very uncomfortable! Both emission systems and safety systems were tampered with, as the general feeling was that it was a hinderance.
(flashback over.....now resuming) :lol:
Old 09-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Seat belt sequencing module question (ROD NOCK)

Rod Nock, Thanks for your reply and the GOOD news! Thought I was going nuts. You are correct, this module would lock out the starting circuit if the seat belts were not fastened, asa well as sound a buzzer and activate warning lights. I wish I could find the revised version of the wiring diagram that has this module and associated wiring deleted. I do have seat belt switches and black and white wires that are somehow supposed to connect to those switches, I guess I will figure this out somehow.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:57 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Joe Lucia over on the NCRS forum had a great idea. Take a look at the wiring diagram for a 76, maybe it shows the wiring without the module. Before I go and buy a 76 diagram, can anyone please check to see if in fact the interlock module is not shown?
Old 09-03-2003, 09:34 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Big Fish-
What are you looking for in the elect diagram that the '75 version can't provide? Or better yet, what are you trying to accomplish?
You've got me curious?! :rolleyes:
Old 09-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Seat belt sequencing module question (ROD NOCK)

Rod, even though the 75 does not have the interlock module, it does have a seat belt warning system that I would like to make functional. There is a black and a white wire from the I/P harness that somehow connects to switches in the seat belt buckles. I am confident a 1976 schematic would have this info and would not show the module like the 75 schematic does. :banghead:
Old 09-04-2003, 10:06 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

I feel you have the right idea. Hopefully the '76 diagram will have it. :cool:
All of my wiring manuals are '75 and prior, can't help there.
Funny thing, in my Motor's manual, there's a section devoted to disconnecting/disabling seat belt interlock systems... :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belt sequencing module question

Quick Reply: Seat belt sequencing module question