C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 09:40 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default alternator question

Looking at the aftermarket web sites I see that there are different listings for replacement alternators for C3's that have factory a/c versus those without a/c. Looks like the alternators for a/c equipped cars put out more amps. Can I safely and easily use the replacement alternator for an a/c car on a non-a/c equipped car? I can't imagine that the wiring/plug connectors are any different, but rather just the internal components, right? Probably have to swap the front pulley too, huh?
Old 09-01-2003, 10:21 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: alternator question (ettev)

The alternators are outwardly the same, just the internal capabilities are different. You could put a 1000 amp alternator on there and it wouldnt hurt a thing. The alternator will only supply the current necessary to keep the battery charged. The regulator controls the output.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: alternator question (wombvette)

The regulator controls the output.
Well until it breaks anyway. :lolg:
Old 09-02-2003, 09:29 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: alternator question (ettev)

It never hurts to have more alt capacity than required. You may decide to add electrical accessories in the future. Check with the vendor/manuf to be sure your wiring connections are compatable. As for the pulley, measure your old and one and check this too. They should be the same for replacement application. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To alternator question

Quick Reply: alternator question