C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help getting an idea on values

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 04:45 PM
78silver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help getting an idea on values

I was wanting some help from the board with what two of my vettes might be worth in there current condition. Both cars have been setting in a concrete floored shed (no climate control) since 1980. There was plenty of mouse posion added to keep mice out. Other then that they have been there ever since. I would like some idea as to their value as they sit right now. Also if anyone would like to add from my other post on any ideas on what steps to take to get the 1969 running again.

Here they are:

1978 L-82, Auto, T-tops, silver, 913 original miles, still has plastic on the steering wheel from the show room and still smells like the day it left he showroom. It has most options for the year and the window sticker is framed along with all paper work for the car.

1969 Stingray 427c.i. 390h.p. 4 sp around 80k pretty much all original, daytona yellow, Interior is in good shape as well as a perfect body.

Like I said both cars have been sitting since 1980 so lets hear what members on here think. Also again what should I do to get the 1969 running without having to do a full restore on it. I also have some 55-57 chevys that have the same story, but this is the corvette board.

[Modified by 78silver, 5:22 PM 9/1/2003]
Old 09-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Help getting an idea on values (78silver)

According to the program available at http://www.CorvetteMuseum.com called VetteSet the concours condition 78 silver anniversary with auto is $22,500. The data is about 3 years old so add another $1,000. But, if you were to put it up for sale I would start at 50K and take no less than 25k simply because of all the documentation and story behind it.

The 69 has 80K miles on it so we can't consider it to be in concours condition. But, with an L36 4-speed in Very Good condition VetteSet indicates the value is $17,500, again add $1,000 since the date is about 3 years old. Now this vette isn't anything too special. Yes it's a Big Block, but the lowest horsepower of the big blocks. On the other hand you can add the factory side pipes and it would be a correct part for the car (unlike those like myself which have them on a 75 or other year). I would start this one off at $25K, but would take $15K for the right person simply because the engine will need some work, and sidepipes and other touchups will cost the new owner some significant cash before they can enjoy it.

Now, if you want to sell one of them and keep the other I would sell the 78 and do a complete frame off on the 69 along with an upgrade on the engine to a nice RamJet 502 with Richmond 6-speed along with heavy duty drive & 1/2 shafts and rear end. Also some heavy duty suspension and some customization to allow some nice fat Mickey Thompson street slicks to bolt on.

I'd also hang onto a 57 chevy to race in the modified class with a full blown setup. Not sure if vintage 55's will bring in the cash needed for that swap though.

Good luck, and keep us up to date!

Quick Reply: Help getting an idea on values