C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti Freeze disposal

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 03:44 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anti Freeze disposal

This may sound silly but after you have removed all the old anti freeze where do you take it for disposal?

Mike
Old 09-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (My69)

I don't think any automotive place will take it, but if you check with your city you might find they will. I know our city has a once a year(coming up) thing where you can bring in anything(old paint, gas, turpentine, anti-freeze, you name it) and they haul if off. You just have to give them an idea what's in the container. And then I think they sneak it off to Florida. :cheers:

J/K on Florida. :D
Old 09-01-2003, 04:47 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Mike, I thought thats where gatoraid came from?
If not try sat mornings at Long Wharf-Haz Waste Center till October.
Gary
Old 09-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Sierra brand which is made from propylene glycol and is environmentally safe. I just pour it out where I clean all my tools and equipment. If you drank commercially purchased egg nog before then you drank some propylene glycol...it's what makes it smooth tasting. Other brands like Prestone use polyethylene glycol and is poisonous. You can't even take it to a local dump. It must be disposed of at a hazardous waste disposal site. Each state is required to provide such a site. They do charge a fee however, something like $25 per container. The interesting thing is that each container can be like a 50 gallon drum...doesn't make any sense that parts stores that sell it don't have to provide disposal of the waste. If we keep letting this kind of stuff slide then our planet is gonna puke up all the waste in it's spring waters and some of our well water will be contaminated for decades.

Do yourself a favor and purchase some safe antifreeze...it's sometimes costs about 10% more, but in the long run it is much much cheaper.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:59 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (Rockn-Roll)

When I changed mine out after installing my new engine I took it to our city's recycling center and they took it. Didn't even charge me anything. Look in your yellow pages under recycling or check the government section.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:59 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (theandies)

Ditto. The local dump takes everything (antifreeze, oil, trans fluid, spent nuclear rods, etc...).
Old 09-01-2003, 06:04 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (jerryp58)

Tastes like egg nog?I've got a few of the neighbors cats that might lap up all that I set out for them. :yesnod:
Old 09-01-2003, 08:30 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone
Mike
Old 09-01-2003, 09:41 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I have heard that most sewage treatment plants can handle antifreeze. They don't want you flushing it down the toilet, but doing so in small amounts does not create any kind of a pollution problem..... I think... don't quote me. Our county has designated collection dates at rotating sites. MJ
Old 09-01-2003, 09:59 PM
jmp
Instructor

your kidding right? dump it on your grass, but wash it down with a hose so an animal dosen't drink it its bad for them, don't worry planet earth will survive
Old 09-01-2003, 10:10 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (jmp)

Here is Washington State's view:
Q. Why isn't antifreeze good for the sewer system?

A. Though small amounts of antifreeze can be successfully neutralized by sewage treatment plants, too much antifreeze can overload those systems. You should never attempt this disposal method without first obtaining the permission of the sewage treatment plant involved. In any case, recycling the material is a more environmentally beneficial practice, and antifreeze recycling is available on a regular basis in most Washington counties.

MJ

and BTW, never pour it on the grass or down a storm drain. Maybe you were being facetious, but there is a big difference between flushing it down the toilet (connected to a municipal sewer system) vs pouring it down a storm drain.

[Modified by MNJack, 10:39 PM 9/1/2003]
Old 09-01-2003, 11:32 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (jmp)

I line in the NW suburbs of Chicago and take old anti freeze to the local Valvoline oil change shop and they take it. They do changes of cars so they have a huge barrel for antifreeze.

Same thing with use oil.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:55 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (bigvette1)

I line in the NW suburbs of Chicago and take old anti freeze to the local Valvoline oil change shop and they take it. They do changes of cars so they have a huge barrel for antifreeze.

Same thing with use oil.
Excellent idea! Some stations will not take oil from someone that just drives up, but you can be sure that they will have the best means to dispose of it properly.

MNJACK wrote: ...there is a big difference between flushing it down the toilet (connected to a municipal sewer system) vs pouring it down a storm drain.
And I will add a little more description to that and say that pouring it on the lawn and washing it down simply dilutes the poison before it goes down the storm drain. Also, if everybody did that then there definitely would be dead fish floating in the rivers. If you don't believe that then take a 8oz glass of water and put just five drops of antifreeze in it and then drink it all down...let us know how it tastes! Hey, it's only five little drops and you only drink it once. Imagine that you had to drink it 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Now do that with propylene glycol and you will see why it's a safer antifreeze. Cause if a hose breaks then it goes to the river through the storm drains and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:46 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (Rockn-Roll)

It's a good way to get rid of pesky neighborhood cats, and it works wonder's on their owners too...... :crazy:

J/K :jester
Old 09-02-2003, 02:56 AM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (Desertdawg)

It's a good way to get rid of pesky neighborhood cats, and it works wonder's on their owners too...... :crazy:
J/K :jester
I think you should be concentrating on the Coyotes :)

Old 09-02-2003, 03:07 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (Desertdawg)

Removes weed from the driveway too, brake fluid makes short work of green algea that tend to stain tiles.....guess how I found out???
Old 09-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

OK guys, how do you seperate the water from the antifreeze?
i have 4 gallons of water mixed with 1/2 gallon of antifreeze.
Just let it sit outside in the sun? will the water evaporate?

Get notified of new replies

To Anti Freeze disposal

Old 09-02-2003, 11:31 AM
rollavette71
Instructor

Default Re: Anti Freeze disposal (Matt Gruber)

We had a local hazardous waste "drop-off" event at which they handed out glossy brochures that specically said you could dump antifreeze down your toilet, as long as you just did a little each day.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:56 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Got weeds around your home landscaping? Not any more! :D :cheers:
Old 09-02-2003, 08:52 PM
georgec
Advanced

I couldn't agree more--no parts store should be allowed to sell this unless they collect the old stuff to recycle. I am in Atlanta and I called the city. After several different people passed my call along I got someone who told me the following: Take the old antifreeze and dump it in a large pan (like a cement mixing tube) filled with cat litter. The cat litter will absorb the liquid. When it dries it can be placed in the regular city garbage collection. Don't know if that makes any sense but that was what I was told.

Quick Reply: Anti Freeze disposal