C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** First impression of the 75 ***

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 02:58 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default *** First impression of the 75 ***

First of all thanks to all you guys for the replies for the first thread about my Bday. We ended up partying for three days and didn't pay too much attention to the 75 vette I just bought last Friday. Now that I've been driving it for couple of days and been walking around it to figure out what did I buy and what the :cuss I'm gonna do with it.

Here's the very basic info I have gathered about the car:

- I'm the 5th owner
- Originally a Florida car, so minor surface rust here and there
- Numbers matching L82 and TH400, this is not a NCRS specs car, it is missing too many original bit to be one.
- Engine runs great (no mufflers), transmission shifts rough...
- No unwanted noises from the drive train
- It's gotta a small brake fluid leak from one of the lines, needs to be looked at
- Rust in the bird cage, not too bad ( I checked it very carefully )
- Body is in good condition, except it's got a crack on the drivers side rear corner, will class it up asap!
- it's got new brake rotors and pads
- Interior is shot! It looks like the it got hit by the bomb that was aimed to hit Saddams place :lol:
- :mad :cuss vacuum leaks!!! Headlights are not working too well... TLC needed here!
- Wheels are something I really like about this car, it's got 8x15 front and 10x15 rear Rally Wheels, no spacers! New set of Firestones are mounted on them, 235 70 15 front and 275 60 15 rear.

Too be honest, this is no sports car!!! This is one of the slowest cars I've driven in the recent past, my daily driver would eat this thing alive of the line and in every single corner :D

So, why did I buy this car!? I got a great deal on it, that's for sure, if I decide to sell it I will get my money back easily, if I decide to start another :nono: project, well then it will not be cheap any more :nonod: :lol:

Any ideas what I should do with it? C'mon let's hear it from you guys now.

Jay

Old 09-01-2003, 04:19 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *** First impression of the 75 *** (groovyjay)

I'm curious to hear how much it cost you over there.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:10 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Keep it for a little while ... if it is meant to be, it will be like moss growing on a stone. All my friends say cars don't have Personalities … just ask my 72 if that statement is true! Since buying the Z about 16 months ago, I haven’t spent much quality time with the 72. To get even, we had a car show two weeks ago and the 72 would hardly run to get there. To make a long story short … the carb is off and being rebuild for the second time in two years. Do I blame the Vette ... no way! It wants all my attention and $$$$$’s … is it female … damn right it is !
Old 09-02-2003, 12:56 AM
FinnShark
Burning Brakes

First of all you have to test how it handles the high way. Roadtest from Helsinki to Tampere is a good start... :D

Anyway, how about doing a fast small block, now that you already have fast bigblock. You are going to need anyway some more power, so why not install TPi or maybe LS-1 into it? There is not too many TPi C3's in Finland. I don' recall seeing any... :cheers:
Old 09-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you have something to play with there. Perhaps just get a racing seat and harness, pull everything else out of the interior, buy a 250 shot of nitrous and take it to the track! :steering: If it survives then make it your daily driver, if not you had one hell of a wild ride!!! :lol:
Old 09-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

75's are slow but easily modded........Build it to run :cheers:
Old 09-02-2003, 08:25 PM
HDFLH67
Racer

Default Re: *** First impression of the 75 *** (Alwyn678)

Where would you all start on a '75 to give it a little more kick-in-the-pants? I just purchased a barn-fresh '75 from it's original owner, and it is absolutely stock. I don't want to trash it, but would like a little more get-up-and-go!

Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Re: *** First impression of the 75 *** (HDFLH67)

Put a Moroso advance curve kit in the distributor.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:18 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That's a nice looking car, Jay. It's a good contrast to your other Vette. My suggestions for it would be to put a few go-fast parts on it like an intake manifold, headers, tune the carb and distributor, maybe port the heads and put 1.6 ratio rockers, THEN put nitrous on it. With an L-82 you should have a forged crank and pistons. It will take 100 to 150hp of nitrous without a problem. Fix up the interior so you can enjoy driving it and have some fun. Get us more pictures when you can.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:39 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: *** First impression of the 75 *** (HDFLH67)

Where would you all start on a '75 to give it a little more kick-in-the-pants? I just purchased a barn-fresh '75 from it's original owner, and it is absolutely stock. I don't want to trash it, but would like a little more get-up-and-go!

Any thoughts?
For starters...if it has the stock exhaust with cat's, get rid of it and replace with true duals. I'm assuming you can legally do this in NY. If you can't, then obviously you'll miss out on the single biggest upgrade. If you want to get more involved (meaning more money), then look at cam/heads/intake/headers and carb (tuned or replaced) to match. Many '75 smog motors here putting out lots of HP, including L48 cars.

Get notified of new replies

To *** First impression of the 75 ***

Quick Reply: *** First impression of the 75 ***