C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choke on Speed Demon?

Old 09-01-2003, 01:18 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke on Speed Demon?

I've decided on the Speed Demon 650, mechanical secondaries. Now I'm just trying to figure out if I really need a choke or not.

The temps here in SC rarely dip below 30 F, but this is my daily driver. I don't want to wait 10 minutes each morning for the car to warm up before I can drive it. Besides, that would not go well with the neighbors at 4:30 in the morning :lol:

Also, would not having a choke give a little more clearance under the hood?

Thanks for any comments or suggestion! :seeya

[Modified by shotgun_000, 2:59 PM 9/1/2003]
Old 09-01-2003, 02:34 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Choke on Speed Demon? (shotgun_000)

I found life without a choke to be a pain even on my weekend only car. I didn't care for having to sit in the car holding the throttle at a setting that gave the engine a fast idle when I could have been closing the garage door or whatever last minute thing needed doing.
There is a choke offered for the speed Demon series of carb. It is a mechanical choke. I prefer mechanical to electric because the electric wants to come on at the drag strip when I've been stopped in the staging lanes.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:07 AM
inqbus383
Instructor

Default Re: Choke on Speed Demon? (1979toy)

I've been using the speed demon 750 for two years. I finally adjusted the electric choke to never come on. Granted my engine is anything but stock, but the car never needs the choke even in freezing weather. The choke is so dumb it decides to come on when it isn't needed and it makes it cough and sputter. Now without it ever turning on, it just takes 3 pumps of the gas and it starts right up and goes. I've heard that barry grant carbs are very good at atomizing the gas and are less sensitive to temperature.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

I run a 650 Demon w/ elec choke with no real problems. Depending on your preference and geographical location (if you live where it's warm you may not need one). Another thing to consider is that the Demon carbs have a funky choke setupo, your average air cleaner base will interfere with the little hinge on the butterfly valves. Kind of a PITA.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:35 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,915 Likes on 1,928 Posts

All the Speed Demons we're running out here in Denver are with no choke. We're had SD's with choke, but they're not needed. Skip the choke.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:23 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Default Re: Choke on Speed Demon? (lars)

I haven't had a choke on my vette for 10 or so years. my speed Demon wasn't sold with a choke as an option.

It's the state of tune of the motor on whether it starts easy or not. I just fire it up hold a fast idle for 20-30 seconds and go. I just drive easy until the temp comes up.

Get notified of new replies

To Choke on Speed Demon?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choke on Speed Demon?