C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

body work question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 10:47 AM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default body work question

In my vette shopping I've come along something I haven't seen before. Above the rear quarter panels the surface looks like latex paint that has dried out and split. The car sat outside under the sun for several years, and on the lower sides the paint still has a shine. I can see no signs of body damage, the rear quarter bonding strips have no deformaties. Is this just a "paint" issue or is it the sign of fiberglass damage from?? Thanks for the info.

Al
Old 09-01-2003, 11:12 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: body work question (metal tech)

It is not unusual to have the top surfaces cracked and checked while the sides are still shiney. If the car sat in the sun the tops take in the most UVs and will deteriorate much faster than the sides. It also could be that someone painted the upper panels and the paint is thicker there. It will need to be stripped down to the glass. Craig
Old 09-01-2003, 11:21 AM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: body work question (CF6873)

Thanks for the info. Since you didn't mention running away from the car, it "should" be a possible keeper then.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: body work question (metal tech)

Its a known fact that all vettes need paint.. unless you shell out 35K for one then the paint has already been re done.

I wouldnt stray from a car because the paint looks bad, its most likely painted in Laquer which a never 'dry' paint. Laquer constantly shrinks over time. When it shrinks too far it begins to crack, but the one good thing about laquer is that it is EASILY buffed back to life without much effort :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To body work question

Quick Reply: body work question