C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering fade

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 03:39 AM
soupguy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fade

The power steering on my 77 fades. While the car is cool no problems but as the car warms up it fades. By the time it gets to normal operating temerature I have almost no assist. The power steering pump is brand new. Any ideas on what I should try next?
Old 09-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power steering fade (soupguy)

My first inclination is that the problem is located in your power steering pump.

One thing to keep in mind, as your power steering fluid heats up, it will become less viscous (thinner) and therefore can leak past close clearance parts and seals easier. However, your power steering pump should be putting out enough flow so that minor internal leakage (inside the pump, control valve, and/or the assist cylinder) does not cause a lack of power steering.

I guess you need to answer the following questions:

Did your power steering operate correctly (at temperature) before you replaced your power steering pump?

Did you replace any other steering parts?

Jim Shea
Old 09-02-2003, 01:19 AM
soupguy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power steering fade (Jim Shea)

The old pump didn't work at all. The only other things I replaced were new hoses. I'm concerned because while driving it's not a big problem but parking and pulling it in the garage is a bear. We recently purchased the car for my wife and I don't know how long the old pump was bad. I think the lack of the assist has already stressed the pivot joint for the tilt wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering fade

Quick Reply: Power steering fade