C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Core replacement help needed.

Old 08-31-2003, 09:16 PM
conway62
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heater Core replacement help needed.

I have a 71 with A/C. I need to replace the heater core. If I have the engine out, can I get to it from the engine bay or do I still need to take apart the dash. Anyone have a step by step I can follow?

thanks in advance :smash:
Old 08-31-2003, 10:35 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Heater Core replacement help needed. (conway62)

I think w/AC it needs to come out from the inside.

I had to do mine that way, but my engine was in.

Terry
Old 08-31-2003, 10:39 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'd say it would be possible, but it would mean completely disassembling your evaporator box and all the associated equipment. If your A/C is uncharged and already open to the atmosphere, then you should be able to do it without too much trouble.
The through the dash routine isn't that hard to do, I think it is probably easier than removing the the evaporator, and external heat core box. Here's a link to show you what is necessary to do that sort of removal. One hint, if you decide to go in through the dash side, put the hoses on the core before you slip it into the car. Hooking them up afterwards is a real pain in the ****.
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/juli...tCore_orig.htm
Old 09-01-2003, 05:49 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 715 Likes on 463 Posts

I replaced the heater core in my 78 this past fall but used the opportunity to check vacuum hoses, plenum doors and actuators. Your 71 should not be as difficult but still a pain...you can get to it by removing those map pockets but still must gut the ductwork.

But if you've got the engine out, a suggestion would be to remove the evaporator core and check it for leaks and also do maintenance check on the blower assembly and related hoses while you've got the engine out.

I figured out later that is wasn't my heater core...but rather the evaporator core leaking oil.

All this may save you the time and aggravation later...once the engine is back in its place!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:25 AM
conway62
Pro

Default Re: Heater Core replacement help needed. (Smokehouse69)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will remove it from the dash side. Too bad I did not think to do this when I gutted and rebuilt the interior last year. Oh well, at least I know how everything comes apart......
Old 09-01-2003, 07:50 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you are there, get a set of foam seals for the heater box, it will keep the heat in the box in warm weather. joe
Old 09-02-2003, 01:06 PM
conway62
Pro

Default Re: Heater Core replacement help needed. (joe73vette)

Got the heater core out. What a PITA. I have to say, I have rebuilt almost the entire car and have never had a problem like this one. Whoever the person is that actually designed the ductwork for the car should have been fired just for coming up with the concept. I swear they must have installed the core first and then tried to figure out how to put body and frame work around it.... :mad

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Core replacement help needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater Core replacement help needed.