C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 02:07 PM
ROBIN FISH
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

Have 75 replaced radiator,waterpump,all hoses thermostat(185) runs fine around town get on tpike run around 70 mph and temp goes up around 200-205 I put 1 gal of antifreeze and 1 gal of 50/50
Old 08-31-2003, 02:24 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Overheating (ROBIN FISH)

Check your timing--too little advance can cause overheating. Also check that the scoop under the front of your car is intact and that there's arn't any bugs or road debris on the front of the radiator. Check that all of the gaps around your fan shroud are still blocked with foam. Install a backflush kit and put some radiator cleaner through the system to get out scaling and crud. If all else fails, try a bottle of water-wetter and use more water and less anti-freeze.

JB

[Modified by JB, 1:25 PM 8/31/2003]
Old 08-31-2003, 02:33 PM
ROBIN FISH
3rd Gear

Default Re: Overheating (JB)

Thanks for the help there was no foam between the radiator when I took it apart, but just looked in a manual and saw it . The radiator is new but there was some crud inside the thermostat housing when I replaced it so I will try a flush kit could you tell me what water wetter is and what you think the ratio of water to antifreeze shoul be and again thanks for the help.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:41 PM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ifall youare getting is 200-205 on the road, you are doing really good.

I have all the correct everything in my car and I run 210 on hwy, 215 w/air on.

Coolling is not one of the things Chevy got right when designingthe Vette.
My owners manual says 220 is OK.

Good luck.

Bill
Old 08-31-2003, 02:47 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Overheating is a common topic. In the left hand column in the top section called "Forums" you will see a link named "Search". Try "overheating" (text box at top left) in the C3 (drop down bottom left) Archive section (dropdown on the right). You will get lots of threads covering overheating.

There are many problems ranging from clogs in the system, timing, engine condition, fan pulley size, fan clutch, air dam, etc. You just have to make an educated guess as to what the problem would be and then fix it.

Generally, one gallon of antifreeze and one gallon of water will get it almost there. A 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water is what you want to protect the system and provide boil over and freeze protection. 200-205 degrees is fine, and where most people run. Even 225 isn't too bad for some engines. Are you running an air conditioner? My temps hover around 200 while driving around, but will soar up to 230 when I get bogged down in traffic. I think it's normal.

If your temp is just getting to 205 then I'd just leave it alone.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:36 PM
ROBIN FISH
3rd Gear

Default Re: Overheating (Rockn-Roll)

thanks for the info that makes me feel alot better seeing i changed everything and was still running around 200
Old 09-01-2003, 12:53 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Overheating (Rockn-Roll)

Welcome to the forum. Overheating is a common topic. In the left hand column in the top section called "Forums" you will see a link named "Search". Try "overheating" (text box at top left) in the C3 (drop down bottom left) Archive section (dropdown on the right). You will get lots of threads covering overheating.

There are many problems ranging from clogs in the system, timing, engine condition, fan pulley size, fan clutch, air dam, etc. You just have to make an educated guess as to what the problem would be and then fix it.

Generally, one gallon of antifreeze and one gallon of water will get it almost there. A 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water is what you want to protect the system and provide boil over and freeze protection. 200-205 degrees is fine, and where most people run. Even 225 isn't too bad for some engines. Are you running an air conditioner? My temps hover around 200 while driving around, but will soar up to 230 when I get bogged down in traffic. I think it's normal.

If your temp is just getting to 205 then I'd just leave it alone.
230 may be normal for your '75, but my '74 doesn't go over 200, on the hottest day in stop and go traffic with the A/C running.

Get notified of new replies

To Overheating

Quick Reply: Overheating