C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 11:12 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing

My Dad has an Impala with his 1st set of custom wheels :cool: but some tire cleaner ate small spots of the clear coat and now they are patchy. We need to remove the rest of the clear coat on the outer rim and polish up any damage we induce from stripping the clear, any suggestions would be welcome before I grab the sandpaper.

Thanks! :cheers:
Old 08-31-2003, 11:53 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing (74-Roadster)

At work we just use wheel acid on all the wheels, how ever somebody sprayed the acid on rims of a brand new Liberty in the showroom and they clouded up.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:05 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing (battsup)

Eastwood makes some stuff to remove clear coat for wheels. I think it's even in some catalogs like Mid America and Corvette Central. Usually you can buy a kit of remover, polish and buffing materials all at once.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:18 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing (74-Roadster)

This may sound stupid but it works for stipping the CC off of motorcycle frames and wheels and want hurt the surface. Go to the grocery store and get you a couple of cans of Easy Off Oven cleaner. Spray it on and leave it till it turns yellow looking. Then spray it off. I have used this method many times with great success. Hope it will work for you.

Wade

[Modified by BlackRat, 3:19 PM 8/31/2003]
Old 08-31-2003, 07:48 PM
7T9Shark
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, I used lacquer thinner I purchased at my local home center. Worked fine, also. Looks like you have several options.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:33 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing (BlackRat)

This may sound stupid but it works for stipping the CC off of motorcycle frames and wheels and want hurt the surface. Go to the grocery store and get you a couple of cans of Easy Off Oven cleaner. Spray it on and leave it till it turns yellow looking. Then spray it off. I have used this method many times with great success. Hope it will work for you.

Wade

[Modified by BlackRat, 3:19 PM 8/31/2003]
I'll have to keep that little gem in the pantry. Lacquer thinner gets messy the oven cleaner sounds great if it doesn't hurt the aluminum underneath.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:43 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing (Stock Man)

I need to do the girlfriends wheels on her Chrysler Sebring Convertible. They are painted with a clear coat. Will these solutions peel the paint off as well ?
Old 09-01-2003, 04:25 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing (7T9Shark)

Thanks for all of the tips. I tried lacquer thinner, but it wouldn't cut the clear. Grabbed some 220 wet paper and slowly sand off the clear. Then had to hit it with 400, 800, 1000 and finally 1500 grit. Super smooth and polished back to a shine with Mother's. Each rim took ~ 60 minutes.

Keep in mind we were only working on the rim. If we had to do the whole wheel, I'd have the tires removed and soak the wheels in stripper. To do a whole wheel, you'd also need all of the polishing attachments for your dremel to get in all the nooks etc.

I've thought about doing that with my 16" Prelude SH wheels because they'd look sooooooo much better polished instead of the dull grey. But I have more important things to do with an entire weekend . . . and ya'll would probably call me a ricer! :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry, I like nice wheels but I have no plans to purchase any "FART PIPES"! :lolg: :lolg:

Thanks again, hope this helps anyone else considering similar work.

Get notified of new replies

To OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing

Quick Reply: OT Need help: Tips on stripping clear coat off aluminum wheels & polishing