C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from the track

Old 08-31-2003, 12:39 AM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Back from the track

Went to the track. The goal today was to go fast, and not break any parts. I wanted to run it hard at least one time on the motor and once on the NOS before I got kicked out (no roll cage) when I pulled into tech the guy said "Hey didn't you go 11's last time you where here. I said "Who me" Tech guys says if you go 11's you are out of here.

That sorta threw my plan into a quandry. I decided to tune the NOS to about 580-590 rwhp and see what I could do.

1st run, had problem activating the NOS shifting into 2nd so I got out of it and coasted.

2nd run same thing. The reason I was having problems activation the NOS is because the activator is on the shifter and I (for some reason) was having problems getting it right. Never had the problem before.

3rd run I decided to activate the NOS before I launched and short shift into 2nd and let it pull. I launched it with a terrible 1.98 60' (very slippery today) and when I short shifted and mashed the throttle (NOS set on W.O.T switch) it started to pull like crazy, WWWEEHHHUUUU, I am on a good run, shift into 3rd, hit 4th, and I miss 5th. OH NO I HAVE NEVER MISSED A SHIFT IN THIS CAR EVER. The best run it has ever made and I screw it up. Coasted through to a 11.53 at 110. I was at 101.2 at the 1/8th. Judging from the previous runs it would have gone 130-132 mph if I had not missed the shift, maybe in the high 11.20's or low 30's. DARN

4th run. Tried the same technique and when I hit the button it did not pull very hard at all, the guy next to me left on me bad over .5 advantage at the light ( I know my lights suck, work on that later, trying to go fast now) I knew his car went around 112 mph so when I started to reel him in I noticed I was catching him but not like I should be blowing by him, ended up catching and just nipping him at the light, by .104. Ran it out the back end and it went 11.54 at 122. The car will go 125 on the motor so I knew something was wrong, checked the bottle and it was near emtpy. I was injecting raw fuel into the fogger (had to seriously kill the A/F ratio)

Learned a lot today, went pretty well only the cars 3rd time to a 1/4 track. I tried to make another run and the tech guy kicked me off the track "Don't come back till you got a cage in that thing"

I will be kicking my self for a while over that missed shift, I am not really trying to ET the car too much, tuning more for MPH at this point. When I get a stronger tranny (decided on a 4 spd Jeffco) and beefed up rear end I will try to get it to ET better.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:18 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Back from the track (69 N.O.X. RATT)

man, you got to get at least one clean run in :smash: nice times tho.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:35 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Back from the track (QuickVet)

When I get a stronger tranny and beefed up rear end I will try to get it to ET better.

Oh, and don't forget the rollbar too.... :lol:

Nice post, I was pulling with you the whole time I read it.... :cool: :thumbs:
Old 09-01-2003, 01:37 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,873 Likes on 911 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Back from the track (Desertdawg)

Hey, I think it was a great day. All metal parts are still where they belong!

I think there had to be some wild expressions on folks' faces when you reeled off that 101mph at the 1/8 mile mark after running a 1.98 60'! That dude must have exploded at about the 200-330 ft mark ad just been flying!

Too bad the "shifter gods" weren't with you, but that's OK.....just like was said above....we were all riding with you for the whole run! Auto guys can't get that much excitement!

It won't be long before it all comes together and when it does it's going to be beautiful!

So what's the cage plans? I gotta work on that too!

Plus I'm really glad to see you staying with a stick. The cool factor is MUCH higher! Especially with a Jeffco! WOW!

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To Back from the track

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back from the track