C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pull, Your Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Chris B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pull, Your Help Needed!

Haven't been around lately, I'm like a forgotten cousin that only calls when he needs something, and the Vette has been running great lately...

When I first bought my car a few years ago, it would dart to the right on braking but only once or twice when it was cold-- in fact, during the summer when I drove it a lot, it would even-out completely. So, a few times in the spring, or once or twice after sitting a few days, I would get a pull.

Last summer, it was more often, but still not enough to get me motivated. THIS summer there was not only a pull every time I braked, but also a drag to the left when taking off, like the left caliper was clamping slow and releasing slow. This progressed a couple weeks ago into a noticable left-drag all the time. I got on CF and searched, and found a post with similar symptoms, and the suggestions were the person probably had a sticky caliper. This seemed reasonable to me, but I still didn't address the problem until a few days ago when I pulled in the drive and the pads were smoking.

I didn't drive the car after that, and finally today took time today to replace the left-front caliper. I hesitated, though, because on the workbench the old one didn't seem sticky-- the pistons all moved pretty free. But there was some "stickyness" and a lot of crud so I continued with the replacement although I was concerned that maybe something else was wrong...

Well as you may have guessed I still have the problem. The caliper replacement went fine, it bled out fine and seemed fine-- until the test drive. Same symptoms, and after only about five miles, the pads were smoking again.

It almost acts as though there's something in the line to that wheel causing the pads to move slow then clamp hard-- maybe some crud that's impeding the flow both ways? Or could it be the proportioning valve?

By the way I've never had any brake problems, no leaky calipers, no fluid loss, pedal and stopping have always been good-- just the pull and now the clamp.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

-Chris
Old 08-30-2003, 10:07 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Brake Pull, Your Help Needed! (Chris B)

It almost acts as though there's something in the line to that wheel causing the pads to move slow then clamp hard-- maybe some crud that's impeding the flow both ways?

I would invest in a set of new brake hoses. It sounds like the one on that wheel is collapsing and doing just as you described above. Probably needs a whole set. Jim
Old 08-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I agree it is probably the hoses. My 94 pickup was doing the same thing, pads were fine, new rotors, calipers, everything except the hoses. It still acted just like your car. I changed the hoses and it instantly cured the problem.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Rubyred
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May not be brakes. On my '63 the severe pull was due to worn front end suspension parts (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.). In effect the front end moved when the brakes were applied.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:00 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Brake Pull, Your Help Needed! (Smokehouse69)

Definetly sounds like hoses.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Chris B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Pull, Your Help Needed! (LAvetteman)

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Yep, it was the hose. Got it back together tonight and it brakes down as straight as you please. Wish I had skipped the $90 caliper that I probably didn't need, but maybe someone else with the same symtoms will see this and try the $10 hose first.

-Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pull, Your Help Needed!

Quick Reply: Brake Pull, Your Help Needed!