C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

information needed about 1968 big block coupe(WARRANTY MOTOR?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 09:19 PM
kingovettes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default information needed about 1968 big block coupe(WARRANTY MOTOR?)

I AM LOOKING AT A 1968 CORVETTE COUPE THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FACTORY 427.IT HAS A BIG BLOCK IN IT NOW THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A WARRANTY MOTOR THAT WAS PLACED INTO IT IN 1969 WHEN THE ORIGIONAL MOTOR WAS BLOWN UP.I THINK HE SAID IT IS A "CE" BLOCK. DOES THIS INDICATE A WARRANTY BLOCK. IS THERE ANY PLACE IN THE VIN NUMBER OR ON THE CAR THAT YOU CAN IF IT WAS A FACTORY BIG BLOCK?(OTHER THAN A BUILD SHEET)IJUST DO NOT WANT TO BUY A FAKE!
ANY INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. :auto:
Old 08-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: information needed about 1968 big block coupe(WARRANTY MOTOR?) (kingovettes)

CE is a designation for a factory replacement engine. There is nothing in the VIN to indicate engine options. There are a few indictors to look for.. 5600 RPM redline tach for the 390/400 engine, 6500 for the 430/435 solid lifter engines, rear sway bar, half shafts to differential yokes are caps and bolts (not "U" bolts). And of course it must have the BB hood. All of the above could be faked so the tank sticker or build sheet would be the ultimate proof.

[Modified by bluevetteman, 9:35 PM 8/30/2003]
Old 08-30-2003, 09:45 PM
kingovettes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: information needed about 1968 big block coupe(WARRANTY MOTOR?) (bluevetteman)

THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO! IF ANYONE HAS MORE INFO PLEASE PASS IT ON! THANKS, STEVE
Old 08-31-2003, 01:08 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: information needed about 1968 big block coupe(WARRANTY MOTOR?) (kingovettes)

I can't add anything to what Bluevetteman points out, but my sense is that a "factory replacement engine" isn't significantly better than any other unoriginal motor when it comes to desireability and resale value. Folks want the numbers to match.

JB

Get notified of new replies

To information needed about 1968 big block coupe(WARRANTY MOTOR?)

Quick Reply: information needed about 1968 big block coupe(WARRANTY MOTOR?)