C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Removal..............Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Dash Removal..............Help!!!

I'm trying to replace the directional bulb (geern arrow) on my 81. I've got the plastic cover off and the cluster moves out just about an inch or so. I still can't get my hand behind there to reach the bulb. I've taken out the speaker but still can't reach. Must I remove the speedo cable and if so how does it come out? :cry I hate to break anything because the interior is the best part of my vette.
I seem to have a knack of fixing one thing and breaking something else. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:11 PM
kenko74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dash Removal..............Help!!! (Richard Cooper)

Richard,
My 5' 0" petite wife (small hands) helped me replace the exact same bulb. It took a couple minutes, but she reached up and did it! :hurray: My advice, find someone with tiny hands before you take anything else apart.

Cheers.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dash Removal..............Help!!! (Richard Cooper)

If you can't find someone with small hands the only other course of action will be to remove the whole assembly. If you already have the speaker removed then i believe you have 3 more things to take off the back of the gauge cluster 1 is the speedo cable which you will have to push in on a spring type clip to remove. 2 is the wire plug that pushes into the back of the gauge cluster and 3 which was the hardest for me is a small, VERY small screw that i believe is a 1/4 in. bolt head screwed into the back of the cluster.
I will say that when i took mine out i replaced every bulb in it.
God luck and if you have to look under the dash. Remove the seat or you'll need a chiropractor. You'll probably need one anyway :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Removal..............Help!!!

Quick Reply: Dash Removal..............Help!!!